Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Pregnant and Day 9 on Zoloft....NEED REASSURANCE  (Read 161 times)

Offline Drielly84

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Pregnant and Day 9 on Zoloft....NEED REASSURANCE
« on: May 09, 2014, 07:57:28 AM »
Im almost 19 weeks pregnant by this point and my OB started me on Zoloft on Wed. 4-30-14.  I was on 50 mg each night for 4 days.....unitl I got a bad panic attack and couldnt sleep all night Sunday and I was a hysterical mess :(  Dr. put me down to 25 mg on Monday and told me to take it in the morning...... I have done that all week and even though some side effects such as nausea, tremors, and panic attacks are pretty much gone,  I still have bad insomnia at night and nervousness anxiuouness during the day.  My Dr. prescribed Ambien to me on Wed and I took the full dose for the past two nights and can only get about 3 or so hours of sleep before I m up all night again :(  I start to get sleepy and sleep again between 4-5 am which is about 1-2 hours before I have to wake up for work and take my zoloft again.  This sleeping pattern is really adding to my anxiety and Im glad I have not had panic attacks all week just anxiousness, Im scared to take the ambien every night and scared the insomnia will not get better.  Please any advice or kind words would be great!

Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 100
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Pregnant and Day 9 on Zoloft....NEED REASSURANCE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 09:32:01 AM »
Im scared to take the ambien every night and scared the insomnia will not get better.  Please any advice or kind words would be great!

Tolerance to the sedating effects of Ambien develop fairly quickly, just as it does with the benzodiazepines. Trazodone would be a better bet. It is a sedating antidepressant which these days is mostly prescribed in small doses for SSRI induced insomnia. It only becomes an antidepressant at around 225mg plus. At the 25-50mg doses typically prescribed for insomnia it acts only as an antihistamine, basically a stronger Benadryl, so it won't adversely affect the Zoloft.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 10:32:29 AM »
Yes I used to be on trazedone right before I got pregnant and it worked well for me...... Waiting to hear back from my OB so I can get the okay to take it.... If I did well with it before should is have the same success? I hope so!
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 10:36:40 AM »
how long had you been on trazodone and how much did you take? I need something to take for my sleep and may need it long term.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
I was on trazedone for like 12 yrs and on 25mg and it worked well for me
Hopefully I get the okay to take it again
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 12:31:28 PM »
thanks for your reply, were you on another anti depressant too? I am on celexa and am having trouble sleeping. I have a prescription for 50 mg but have never taken it dr said to start out with half a pill which would be 25 mg. I guess I need to try it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 01:36:15 PM »
Before I was pregnant I was on celexa and trazedone
I should have never stopped my meds or just tapered off
I went cold turkey
I just got the okay to begin taking the trazedone again with my zoloft
Bookmark and Share