Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: From elavil to pamelor  (Read 221 times)

Offline lookingforthelight25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
From elavil to pamelor
« on: May 08, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »
I was on Elavil 25 mg for like 4 weeks tried to move it too 50 mg and got super depressed ..... Went back down to 25mg for like 2 weeks and all of a sudden it's being making me even more depressed .... Now my doctor said from my adverse reaction to 25mg of Zoloft that maybe I'm sensitive to meds and prescribed me 10mg of pamelor now .... I just want relief from this anxiety and depression already I don't know how much more I can take .... Isn't 10mg too small of a dose to be effective though?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: From elavil to pamelor
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 06:08:34 PM »
I was on Elavil 25 mg for like 4 weeks tried to move it too 50 mg and got super depressed ..... Went back down to 25mg for like 2 weeks and all of a sudden it's being making me even more depressed .... Now my doctor said from my adverse reaction to 25mg of Zoloft that maybe I'm sensitive to meds and prescribed me 10mg of pamelor now .... I just want relief from this anxiety and depression already I don't know how much more I can take .... Isn't 10mg too small of a dose to be effective though?

None of the doses have been high enough to be effective. You need to take at least 75mg of Elavil (amitriptyline) or Pamelor (nortriptyline) to get a therapeutic response, and most need to take 100-150mg for good results. You should be able to up the Pamelor dose every 4-5 days without increasing the severity of any side-effects. The tricyclics tend to produce fewer initial side-effects anyway.

Elavil is biases towards inhibiting serotonin re-uptake whereas Pamelor is a more potent norepinephrine (noradrenaline) reuptake blocker so the initial side-effects will probably be different.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline lookingforthelight25

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 02:32:44 AM »
I am really sensitive to meds I mean I had a horrible debilitating adverse panic reaction to only 25mg of Zoloft but still idk why this guy is low balling the meds so much for maybe I should look for another available doctor
Bookmark and Share

Offline maple

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 11:29:27 AM »
I was recently prescribed 10 mg nortriptyline; I've not been able to tolerate most SSRIs (except for zoloft, and only at a low dose that still made me feel sleepless/jittery).  My pdoc's rationale is that I metabolize drugs much more slowly, and Pamelor in particular is extensively metabolized in the liver, so that is why we start at the low dose.

A secondary benefit is that part of my anxiety manifests itself with muscle aches, headaches, and irritable bowel type symptoms, which low dose pamelor is often prescribed to treat.  I strongly recommend listening to your doctor and asking him questions; there are no strict rules to psychoactive medications.  We each react differently...  some people require very high doses, and some people need very low doses.  The "therapeutic dose" of pamelor is actually closer to 75-100 mgs, with 150 mg being the recommended max.  Pamelor is also one of the few meds where you can take a blood test for the therapeutic level in your blood.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: