Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Severe Anxiety over Naegleria  (Read 512 times)

Offline TheBigDeepCheatsy

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Severe Anxiety over Naegleria
« on: May 08, 2014, 07:49:56 PM »
A little history before the main topic. I've had hypochondria since I was 5-6. I've believed I had tumors, bee larva parasitizing me (This was when I was 6), diabetes, intrusive thoughts, gallstones, and now the main topic.

It's been going on since March 13th of this month when I got pool water way up in my nose. What happened then was that I vomited in the middle of the night (But I had a lot of fat and sugar before then, so that's what caused it), then I remembered about the brain-eating amoeba and tried to look up the symptoms and how long it would take for them to show. Then I started to have swelling in my forehead, but no fever. So I went to a doctor, it turned out to be allergies.

When that started to go well, I was taking a shower and got tap water into my nose on accident, causing me to freak out even more. Then I started to get head tightness on the sides of my head, thinking this was it this time. Turned out to be tension headaches.

Then another time, I was helping a friend with a pond and I carelessly wiped my near my nose and when I realized what I had done, I freaked out yet again for another week. No fever once again

This time, today (1 week later since the last incident), being as careful as can be, I just get a cup of "filtered water" at McDonald's to go with my breakfast (I was in a major hurry for a test and I had a coupon for BOGO Egg McMuffins). After around 10-20 minutes, I regurgitate (Which is something that has happened throughout my life) and a bit of it gets in my nasal area where the throat meets  and I think I had to sort of snort it back down (I hope you know what I'm talking about; and no, I did not cough it at all, but I do not quite remember if I really had to snort it back down or not), but then I start wondering how clean the drinking water is at McDonald's and if the time in my stomach made the water relatively safe from Naegleria (Since there are NO reports of Naegleria infecting from regurgitation/vomit reaching the back of the nose and I know it is safe to drink).

I live in the Phoenix area near South Mountain rather than some place like Peoria (Where it did happen).
My father jumped into a lot of lakes without dying
I jumped into my old swimming pool a lot (And sometimes it wasn't perfectly clean) back when I was a little kid, which COULD mean I have the "genes that protect from Naegleria".
My temperature never exceeded 98.6 degrees, and would sometimes get to 97 only (Which actually feels pretty cool, quite literally)

I now feel like some universal force has suddenly decided that it wants me dead from Naegleria (OF ALL THE PREPOSTEROUS DISEASES THAT IS PRIMARILY FOUND IN LAKES AND WHEN FOUND IN TAP WATER WAS AFTER KATRINA OR DUE TO SEVERE NEGLECT) and that no matter how hard I try to stay safe, water gets near my nose.

I'm really going mad with terror! :traurig001:

I don't know if I'm going to make it for sure this time or if I will die of Naegleria.

And how can I remember to stay safe and prevent these crises from happening?!
Bookmark and Share

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Severe Anxiety over Naegleria
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 05:26:24 PM »
I'm still here, though I am having mild headaches (But none at the forehead). No fever, no vomiting, no stiff neck.
Bookmark and Share

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 01:06:37 AM »
Still here.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 02:05:07 AM »
I'm sorry nobody has responded yet. I can empathize with this fear, as I've had it too. I'll hang in here with ya, but I'm pretty sure you're in the clear by now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 02:16:21 AM »
Bro', stop snorting water.

As far as a ironical fate perpetrated by 'the universe'. I get that. I'm working on becoming a personal trainer and had been convinced for a few weeks I was going to die of MND.

I hate irony man. Hate it.

You, though, stop stressing over getting water up your nose.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 01:45:45 PM »
So I responded to this late last night and guess what happened to me this morning? I got water up my nose while in the shower. Yay - go me....NOT! So I guess it's my turn to wait now. Oh - and the really scary part? We're on well water! The good things? It didn't go WAYY up my nose, but definitely went "in". And....our well water is treated.
Bookmark and Share

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2014, 08:15:57 PM »
Dang it, my temperature is 99-98.6 degrees. Though I don't think I have any severe headaches and have not vomited.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bpadilla49

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 09:02:16 PM »
It's been over 10 days...you're good.
Bookmark and Share

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
*Breaths in* Yesterday, I tried to take a quick cold shower and I got a bit of cold water in my nostrils or nose... (I was in a hurry for an interview).

I'm such an idiot. :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Smalm

• Live everyday like it's your last for one day will be your last!
  • Rec's: 5
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • treatment in progress, better life, no HA!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 12:42:57 AM »
•Stage 1 ◦Severe frontal headache
◦Fever
◦Nausea
◦Vomiting

•Stage 2 ◦Stiff neck
◦Seizures
◦Altered mental status
◦Hallucinations
◦Coma

source:CDC
 are you dying with these symptoms? NO! I think you will be fine I get water up my nose all the time and I've never gotten sick from it or died from it, I think you are just fine! :yes:
Bookmark and Share
On medication, which is doing great! I love the major improvements it has made for me and he people around me for when I have anxiety I make others suffer, but not anymore!

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 01:46:24 AM »
•Stage 1 ◦Severe frontal headache
◦Fever
◦Nausea
◦Vomiting

•Stage 2 ◦Stiff neck
◦Seizures
◦Altered mental status
◦Hallucinations
◦Coma

source:CDC
 are you dying with these symptoms? NO! I think you will be fine I get water up my nose all the time and I've never gotten sick from it or died from it, I think you are just fine! :yes:

Well in any case, would it be alright if I make one reply and update it for each day until it's over (Don't reply until after the 7th day, so I can modify the reply)?
Bookmark and Share

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 11:36:56 PM »
Starting to have sharp pains in the right side of my forehead that last for only a couple of seconds and don't come back until at least 2 hours. They're sort of near my brow.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AP151

• Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Stop just existing, live while you can!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 11:54:49 PM »
My friend, you are okay. I've googled all there is to google about this thing (I used to fear it too - many of us have). I won't even get into why you're okay, I'm not going to enable this fear. If I give reasons why you're okay, you'll think about those reasons and temporarily feel good about it, and then your anxiety will take hold again and you'll counter with reasons why you might NOT be okay.

Don't give this irrational fear another second of your life. Just drop it, move on.
There is no reason for concern here...
Bookmark and Share
"To live is rarest thing in the world. Most just simply exist." - Oscar Wilde

"Don't take life so seriously, nobody makes it out alive anyway."

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2014, 05:14:44 AM »
I 2nd what AP151 said.

Is it a scary thing? Yes. Is it rare? YES. You would be the first reported case in 2014, thats how rare it is. People get water up their nose all the time. Millions of people, every day. Not a single reported case yet this year.

I let myself have a completely irrational panic attack over this stupid thing a couple days ago and have paid the price. It's not worth it.

You're fine.
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 04:24:45 AM »
I'm still here, got a bit of nose pain, stuffiness, tightness, minor loss of smell (I can still smell soaps), but my headaches have been fading to some degree.
Bookmark and Share