Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Meds or no meds?  (Read 191 times)

Offline MLB2805

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Sleepy
    Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Meds or no meds?
« on: May 08, 2014, 02:08:44 PM »
I'm just wondering how many people on here take meds for there anxiety? I see a lot of people still struggling, and was wondering are meds not working or do you not take any? Anyone with full remission on meds?
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Meds or no meds?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:31:10 PM »
I am on my third SSRI. 1) Zoloft: prescribed by my family doc. Worsened anxiety. discontinued under her supervision after 5 weeks. 2) Lexapro: worked beautifully on depressive symptoms but did not lessen my anxiety, I stayed on this for four months, prescribed by my psychiatrist. 3) Prozac: I've been on this for a month, currently at 40 mg.

I feel like the prozac is starting to kick in now. I am still frequently tense, but I am in a very stressful situation at work and job hunting....I don't expect a medication to work miracles in such a difficult situation. But like I said, I DO think it's working because I have large gaps of anxiety-free time and when I'm anxious I'm talking myself through it better. I am eager to see what the prozac can do when I'm out of this work environment in one more month.

I've tried other medications too: Propranolol (I have mitral valve prolapse as well, which was worsening my morning anxiety symptoms) and that works pretty well. Seasonique is a hormone because I have had PMDD symptoms. Took care of those. Hydroxyzine and Klonipin I took very briefly by my family doc during my taper off zoloft. I've had an ativan prescription from my psychiatrist that I take a 2-3 days per week on average...but that's decreased from 4 days and I'm optimistic that it will decrease in usage further as I go. I take fish oil 1-2 capsules daily also.

It's interesting as I type this I sound like a pharmacy cabinet. But I was in a REALLY bad state in October through February to the point where I almost went to the hospital on a couple occasions. Again, the hormone and medical conditions exacerbated the anxiety so I'm pleased that those are settled down so I can focus on the residual. I very strongly believe in a well-rounded approach to anxiety treatment and that meds alone are not the answer. I exercise 3-4 days per week, and am working on cognitive behavioral therapy and some other strategies with my psychiatrist as well.

One of the challenges with anxiety is that it is a very chronic condition, and often one treatment alone, may not cause full permanent remission (though I'm sure there are exceptions!)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mdm44

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:44:12 PM »
Hi  :action-smiley-065:  I'm new here but saw your post and wanted to add my experiences with meds...I've been on Lexapro twice (once for GAD and the second time for postpartum depression). It did nothing for my anxiety, just pretty much turned me into a zombie. I was on a very low dose. It worked well for the depression the second time but I discontinued it after 3 months because of the side effects.

Last year I was put on Wellbutrin SR 150 mg, which I am still taking. My doctor added Buspar which was HORRIBLE. Gave me heart palpitations and again, did nothing for my anxiety. Also gave me insomnia, which I don't need!

Now my doctor wants to add Zoloft to my Wellbutrin since I still have pretty severe GAD. The Wellbutrin helps a little with the rumination and the residual depression from always being anxious but doesn't really calm me down, if that makes sense? But I'm hesitant to start the Zoloft because of all the terrible things I've read about the drug.

So in general, for me anyways, significant relief has yet to come from any pill  :( I do take valium every night to help me sleep (2.5 mg). Have for years and haven't built up any kind of tolerance to it. Its still the only thing that really calms me down, other than Xanax, which I don't take too often.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:55:51 PM »
I took cymbalta for over a year and felt anxiety free. Here and there I'd have breakthroughs but I'd get over it fast. Where as not being on meds it's always on my
Mind, although if you met me you probably wouldn't know I have anxiety... It doesn't stop me from doing anything, but it is hard for me to relax... Cymbalta made me gain weight after awhile (or my eating habits) not sure which, but was thinking of trying something else
Out. But kinda want to go back to cymbalta because I know how it affects me.
Bookmark and Share
You don't have to control your thoughts. You just have to stop letting them control you.

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 05:07:52 PM »
Did you try regular exercise while you were on the cymbalta? that may help offset the weight gain, nevermind the other many benefits :). I've been kind of interested in trying Cymbalta, but I'm trying to let my doctor steer the ship!
Bookmark and Share

Offline MLB2805

Sleepy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 09:47:56 PM »
I didn't exercise regularly!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: