Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Need to go for biopsy..worried  (Read 318 times)

Offline Joey8924

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Need to go for biopsy..worried
« on: May 08, 2014, 01:24:22 PM »
I've had an enlarged lymph node under my jaw for over a year now. It's 1cm and hasn't grown at all. That should be a good sign. The bad signs are that it's hard and doesn't move which points to possible lymphoma. But the doctors are telling me because it hasn't grown is a good sign but they want me to go for a biopsy because of the way it looked on a ct scan and just because that's the only way to rule out lymphoma. I'm worried about what may be found because of the fact that it's hard and doesn't move but at the same time I'm not so worried because it hasn't grown in over a year. I'm also nervous about the biopsy itself. Some people say it hurts and some people say it doesn't. I just want this whole process over with. They say that fatigue is a sign of lymphoma and this whole time I haven't felt tired at all but I think all the stress and worry is getting to me and making feel tired lately. I hate the waiting game. Any words of encouragement would help thanks. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Need to go for biopsy..worried
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 02:03:49 PM »
The biopsy will hurt, but not very much and not for very long. Comparable to getting a shot. Actually beign a bit nervous is good, so the adrenaline will reduce the pain. As for the rest well, there's really no point in worrying about the results until you have them. One way or another, you'll have an answer when its over, and you can decide what to do when that happens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:10:24 PM »
I've heard it's like a small pinch which I don't mind. I'm used to shots..I used to get 6 at a time once a week when I had really bad allergies a few years ago. What worries me is the location. Obviously the neck is going to be more sensitive than the arm. Do you know if the area is numbed before the biopsy is done.

And you're right, there is no point in worrying until I get the results, but as the saying goes...easier said than done.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 09:23:23 PM »
I had biopsies on my thyroid nodules.  They hurt a little, but basically a pinch.  Nothing major.  I'm guessing it's similar with a lymph node. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Joey8924

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 01:17:17 PM »
Is there pain afterwards? I've heard the area hurts a few days afterwards.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
Again, mine was on a nodule not a node, but - I had NO pain after.  Also no bruising at all, which I was warned about.  So it seems like these things vary from person to person.  But no there's no guarantee that you'll be in pain after.
Bookmark and Share

Offline dcast

• Just Joined!
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 07:46:55 PM »
I'm in an incredibly similar situation, so I can relate very easily.

I've had swollen lymph nodes around my groin, under my arms and neck, and it's caused me to have numerous panic attacks. The biggest one feels nearly 1cm big near my groin. Although they don't really hurt that much, they feel very uncomfortable. I get night sweats all the time, and sometimes I feel odd sensations around my collar bone, but can't tell if it's just in my head. I've been to the doctor several times and had an ultrasound, but I felt as though I was being dismissed as a hypochondriac. The ultrasound showed nothing and he said my lymph nodes were fine, even though I can easily feel that they're swollen and cause me a lot of discomfort. I've had 3 blood tests and I still have no idea what's wrong, one common result that keeps coming up is elevated bilirubin (Gilbert's Syndrome), but I still can't tell if it's just an infection or something viral. My symtoms feel very similar to lymphoma, so I'm getting really scared. Do you know if a physical examination, blood test and and ultrasound enough to diagnose lymphoma?

Sorry I'm hijacking your thread here, but I think we're both on the same boat. I plan on going to the doctor very soon to ask for a biopsy, and I'm nervous as hell. It's very hard to find any form of relief that isn't a drug or involve dangerous thoughts. Planning out my own quick and painless death, just in case I get a terminal illness helps me more than it should. I'm in no rush to leave this earth, but I just don't think I could live with the fact that I'm terminal.

Hope everything turns out well for you, feel free to PM me if you want a chat, battling this alone can be really tough as I've now discovered.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: