Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: When do u decide?  (Read 225 times)

Offline Lam123

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
When do u decide?
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
When do u make the decision to get something checked out? How long do u let symptoms go on for before going to the dr?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: When do u decide?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 01:54:49 PM »
When the symptoms become something that is not ever associated with the anxiety feelings that accompanied everything that turned out to be nothing. Also if there are large swollen areas or anything is leaking, turning black, or being coughed up.

Essentially, once its clear that I'm actually having a problem that does not have as its primary symptom, "Fear that I may have a problem."
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 10:09:46 PM »
Well a lot of times I just go because the anxiety is too bad and I'm convinced I have something awful, but I know that's a bad thing.

However, something that appears infected (pus, etc), pain that keeps me from functioning, non-anxiety symptoms that linger for weeks (eg a productive cough, a non-healing wound), will send me to the doctor without feelings of anxiety.  Those incidences are pretty rare for me but they do happen. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline StrongintheFaith

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
I am much like Mollyfin....usually whatever the problem is starts out minor, but my anxiety magnifies the symptoms, so I end up at the dr just to calm my fears. Not good in the long run, but it's survival mode!
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:57:11 AM »
I will generally wait things out to see if it is progressing.  If not I don't go.  I also don't go if it's something that started suddenly and then remains the same.  If it's remaining the same and I'm worried (which I am of course!)  I will mention it at my next appointment (which I go every six months for a blood pressure check and pill refills) - however, if it's something I think he'd suggest a test for, I won't tell him at all. (unless it's a test that can be done RIGHT there with immediate results like a urine sample)
This has never happened, but if it did I would go immediately:   Some kind of vaginal bleeding (as I am 3 years post menopause), I'd go at the first drop of blood.  OR if I were having very obvious symptoms of a heart attack.  (but the heart is the ONLY thing that doesn't scare me and I'd probably pass it off as something benign  B-;)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: