Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lymphoma; what else?  (Read 250 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lymphoma; what else?
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:18:29 PM »
My underarm lump continues to be here.  It's getting longer - went from maybe half a fingertip to a full one in a month - and a bit thicker as well, which really concerns me (since apparently thickness is what they look for in lymphoma nodes.)  It's very mildly tender when I touch it, and it's causing pain around the lump.  Seeing my doctor again tomorrow.  Can't believe it's anything but lymphoma. 

Also concerned because my doctor said it was a cyst, but as it gets bigger, it's clearly a lymph node.  If he says cyst again I'll feel like I need a second opinion...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lymphoma; what else?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
Anxiety keeps increasing.

I know I should believe my doctor no matter what he says but it just seems nothing like a cyst and everything like a lymph node - I've had plenty of both of those in my life and I've never had a cyst that's shaped like a shiva lingam stone.  (I...can't really think of a better comparison.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 12:28:31 AM »
I have an underarm lump, too. Actually, I have them on both sides but slightly different in feeling. I just had a baby 4 months ago and mine developed in early pregnancy and are still kickin'. I have had mine monitored for months. If you feel like it's getting bigger, getting them rechecked is definitely in order. If it's a cyst, they should be able to aspirate it. Can you ask for that as well as ultrasound to determine the characteristics of the node/cyst?
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 04:17:55 AM »
It could still be a cyst. Does it move around atleast?

Best wishes to you :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 07:55:16 AM »
It doesn't move around as far as I can tell.  But I don't really know what a moving cyst feels like, except for the tiny round ones that literally seem to just float around under the skin.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
Might be an infected hair follicle.  Is it tender?  I had one of those due to an allergy to a new deoderant and it drained and went away in a few months.  Annoying but not serious.  Hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 01:45:48 PM »
Molly, my son had enlarged LN's on the back of his scalp that scared me to death!  He also had teeny pimples right at his hairline. I took him to the dermatopathologist and he told us the lymph nodes were enlarged due to seborrhea dermatitis (bad dandruff) and that they'd not go down until a few months after the infection cleared AND that they would enlarge if we kept touching them. He also said that when we're born, our lymph nodes are basically zilch. Once they DO THEIR JOB, and trap some junk, they never return to their itty bitty size.

I have a small lump in front of my right ear.  I've had it for over 20 years.  Reading on this forum convinced me it was something awful so I went to the doctor twice (saw two different docs) who both said 'shotty nodes' and my primary said he could actually feel a second one a little deeper than the one I'd been complaining about and that there are 3 tiny nodes in that area. They will never go down once they become 'shotty' or damaged, clogged or calcified but they mean NOTHING. He said unless a node is bigger than 1 cm (think lima bean), they're not even enlarged.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: