Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What if nothing can take my panic attacks away and I'm stuck like this forever!!  (Read 400 times)

Offline Shan1983

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lately I have been scared that nothing will help my panic,,what if meds and therapy don't work and I'm stuck with this intense fear and worry for the rest of my life,,I know that's most likely not the case but what if I can never get rid of this
Bookmark and Share
Constant anxiety and panic,,it's horrible but makes you a very strong person depending how you look at it

Offline Venomsoar

• Rec's: 4
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I had this exact same fear yesterday. I was worrying thinking "what if the doctors give me the strongest drug and I still cannot calm down?". I also fear of never being able to sleep because I suffer from insomnia as well which makes anxiety worse. I worry about getting into a vicious circle which that in-itself is a vicious circle. It felt like I was going to go crazy until my death (at least that's what I thought). But today, it is a lot better. I just started Sertraline last Friday so I think it may of been due to that. But you are not alone. Certainly not.

Have you started any medication? Or is there anything that you can think of that may of triggered your feelings?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Shan1983

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I haven't started new meds yet,,I have been taking seralitine for years but for me it obviously didn't work,so I'm seeing a new doctor next week,,I can't pin point what triggers my attacks because they are there all day,sometimes not leading to panic but always anxious thoughts,,it's the worst and really scary once it takes over and you are so terrified you want to jump out of your skin
Bookmark and Share
Constant anxiety and panic,,it's horrible but makes you a very strong person depending how you look at it

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
I assure you there is a solution. It may happen at once or you may need to experiment but there is a solution.

I suggest you try Alprazolam (Xanax) as your medication. It can be used for quick emergency relief and also as a long term extended release. It is very effective.

Also, examine your lifestyle and see if modification will limit your problems. For example, you must not dehydrate - that is a trigger. Also, some medications can cause attacks. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss anything you are taking - I'm pretty knowledgable by learning the hard way ;-)

Locate and use support systems. Just coming here and learning from others will divert you. There are hotlines you can call (I find talking is very soothing). There are many, many strategies that will help you get control of this so the problem will either go away or you'll learn how to minimize it so it doesn't take over your life.

You can and will be OK.

Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline Shan1983

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks ringil,,today I have been having severe panic attacks every couple minutes, right when it subsides it comes right back,,this has been going on for hours,,ever have this before?
Bookmark and Share

Offline dent67

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have the same thing, that is how I get panic.  I don't get one attack that subsides to nothing or into mild anxiety, I get waves and waves of panic.  In between the waves I feel okay but the fear of the next wave (or an intrusive thought or something external) brings on another wave.  It sucks and it's even worse when you think it's done and then you're hit with another wave.

It does stop though, I promise.  No one can be stuck in a panic for ever, it's impossible, your body will burn up all the adrenaline it has and they will stop.  Everything will be okay, just know that no you will not be stuck like this forever, you will get better. It just takes time and work.  Keep going to therapy, keep up exercising, proper diet and staying hydrated.  If you choose to medicate stick to the plan set out by your doctor, just keep working at it and it will go away.

One thing that helps me when I get stuck in the waves of panic and anxiety is just going on with life, pretending it's nothing.  I just accept that this is my life now, and if the rest of my life is stuck in panic then so be it.  Panic can't hurt or kill you so just let it tag along while you go about life.  If panic wants to come hang out at the mall then let it.  If it wants to visit at work just let it.  Accept it and don't fight it, just say 'hi' and keep going about your day.

The best way to deal with panic and anxiety is to do fun stuff, hang out with friends and loved ones, go for a run, take up a hobby and let the panic and anxiety join you if they want.  They will come or they won't, it's okay though because they can't hurt you.

Eventually you will find that they stop trying to hang out so much, when you show that you're not scared of them, that you're not going to do what they want, that you will let them come along in life but not control life, they will stop trying.  Things will get better, just keep moving forward.

Hope this helps, it works for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
Thanks ringil,,today I have been having severe panic attacks every couple minutes, right when it subsides it comes right back,,this has been going on for hours,,ever have this before?

When I came off SSRIs I had attacks that lasted for weeks. Please try a crisis line.

Water. Steam. Xanax if possible. I'm so sorry. I know how you feel.
Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Refreshing perspective dent67.  Thank you for reminding me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Drielly84

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
About to try zoloft again because I only gave it 9 days before :( need help to get through this
Bookmark and Share

Tags: