Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: extremely anxious about rabies  (Read 214 times)

Offline Simba456

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
extremely anxious about rabies
« on: May 07, 2014, 12:22:28 PM »
I have been doing really good with my anxiety and then an event happened yesterday noon that has caused it to sky rocket.

I got off the bus and started walking home to my apartment when I saw a stray dog. It was extremely friendly and obviously wanted to play. I didn't touch it because it had no collar and I had seen it roaming the streets earlier that morning on my way to school. A bunch of kids that live next door to me started to play with it when I went inside. I went back outside to sit on my porch to read (it was a gorgeous evening yesterday and being outside really helps me calm down).

I heard a noise and looked up, and the dog was running up the stairs to my porch, with three kids running behind it. Before I could get up the dog jumped up on me and licked my mouth. Immediately I felt my heart beating faster because I had just been licked in the mouth by a stray dog! I went inside and called my mom, who helped me calm down temporarily and be rational about the situation. I also rinsed my mouth out with alcohol (rum, it was the only thing I had. I don't have any mouthwash).

I could not sleep and started to google information about rabies. I definitely should NOT have done that. I know better than that but I couldn't help it because I felt so panicked. I read that although it is rarer to contract rabies from a nonbite exosure, it is definitely possible. I have no idea where the dog is now so I can't call a shelter or animal control. Both my mom and boyfriend keep trying to reassure me that I'll be fine but all I can think about is what if that dog has rabies and transmitted it to me before it was symptomatic (dogs can transmit rabies 10 days prior to showing any signs).

The dog showed no signs of being aggressive/angry, no drooling saliva, it was letting the kids play with him and pick him up, and was just acting like your average puppy.

I am just so freaked out and I don't know if I am overreacting and will be okay or if I should actually call the state and go to the doctor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: extremely anxious about rabies
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 05:00:51 AM »
If the dog was friendly and playful, it probably belongs to someone in the area and thus has likely had all its shots.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Descent

• Rec's: 1
  • Only thing to fear is fear itself
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 07:54:44 AM »
I don't think you need to worry.

Canine rabies is essentially gone from the US. A vast majority of rabies cases come from interactions with wild feral animals like bats, skunks and raccoons. The dog showed zero signs of being infected.

Relax and stay away from Google. :)
Bookmark and Share
Generally afraid of: Bacterial infections, toxic ingestions

Offline Simba456

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:15:12 PM »
Thank y'all for replying. I ended up calling a local Dr.'s office who directed me to animal control. I spoke with their vet who said I didn't need to worry and that there haven't been any reported cases of rabies in dogs. I'm still worried but much more at ease having talked to a vet.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: