Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Introversion and anxiety  (Read 282 times)

Offline zefan13

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introversion and anxiety
« on: May 06, 2014, 11:34:59 PM »
I imagine many people on this forum would find themselves categorized as introverts, rightly or not.  For those who don't know, an introvert, roughly speaking, is someone who tends to get his/her energy from within and expend it from without.  This is to be contrasted with an extrovert, which is precisely the reverse: s/he gets his/her energy from without and expends it from within.

Consequently, introverts tend to find themselves spent when they socialize; extroverts tend to thrive on personal interaction.  On the other hand, introverts tend to thrive on solitude and extroverts tend to be drained when alone for extended periods of time.

I'm just curious if any forum members find that they fit this category and/or notice people tend to mistake it for shyness or a lack of sociability.
Bookmark and Share

Offline delilahking

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introversion and anxiety
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »
Hi zefan 13
Actually I have been spending a long time working on separating the introvert from the social anxiety in me. I also have heard of people confusing depression and introversion. I happen to like being an introvert, but there are some who think it is "anti-social" or that I hate people-so not the case. I find other people fun and interesting, I just turn into a pumpkin sooner then midnight when around large groups ;)
Bookmark and Share
~Life is what you make it.......but sometimes I run out of glue~

Offline thependragon81

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:07:44 AM »
An interesting post! I am naturally introverted but I have never felt that it is the cause of my anxiety. Since having health issues and then developing anxiety I found it can be easy to shy away from social interaction, but that's often because I enjoy my own company. Certainly I find that people don't understand me wanting to sometimes spend time on my own and I guess they possibly feel that it is a sign of depression. I suppose the question for me is whether being introverted is stopping me from properly dealing with my anxiety and health problems.
Bookmark and Share

Offline clippergoodwill

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 02:08:03 AM »
This is a weird topic for me. I'm 32 and have always been a bit of an introvert. Since dealing with the harsher side effects of anxiety, I'm almost willing to discuss it at length with others who have it. I find discussing it with people who don't have it to be almost useless.

Bookmark and Share

Offline thependragon81

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 12:27:25 PM »
Hi clippergoodwill,

I agree, for people who have never suffered with anxiety or stress over a long period there is little concept of how bad things can get. I'm also 32 and have pre-existing health issues going back 4 years and when I talk of being anxious my family & friends just seem to think that I should snap out of it and be more sociable, but do I want to be spending more time with people who don't understand the problem? One Doctor was very dismissive and thought I should simply listen to relaxing music whenever I had negative thoughts. When I wake up at 3 in the morning with chest pain I really don't think that's going to work!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Taz0123

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 08:52:34 PM »
Hi zefan13,

I've always considered myself an introvert. I often feel "odd" around people or like I just don't fit in quite right. Or that I get burned out and feel more tired after socializing with people I do like being around. 

I do think things like stress at work and depression can make a normally extroverted person very anti-social. Having to muster up so much energy to drag yourself to work, and then deal with people who rub you the wrong way, definitely make me go into "don't talk to me after I clock out and go home" mode. Even on the weekend where I want to hang out with some friends, I still feel "cheated" of my me time to just decompress and breathe.

I think I have to agree with the summary of introvert needing time to themselves, as I know I am absolutely like that.
Bookmark and Share