Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: just scheduled an EMG  (Read 162 times)

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
just scheduled an EMG
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
Hi all, 3 months of sporadic twitching, one arm fatigue, random tingling on tongue, and facial tension led me to an initial neuro consult.  He did a clinical exam and saw nothing to be concerned about at all except anxiety.  Three weeks later, the symptoms continued (no worse, no better) and I've felt fatigued legs (both) and I propped myself up on one of my palms getting out of bed which led to an intense pain on one side of my ring finger.  The pain is not constant, but the tingling on that side is. 

This led me back to the neuro office today.  He did another clinical exam, didn't see anything to be concerned with again, but recommended an EMG once I told him I was worried about motor neuron disease.  I did ask him if he saw anything clinically with me to be concerned about and he told me absolutely not.  He also told me he had seen ALS patients and that none of my symptoms matched anything he had seen but thought an EMG was appropriate to see if anything was wrong.

I have had health anxiety for the past 6 months or so, and am treating it, but these symptoms won't break.  The earliest I could get an EMG was 3 months, I am hoping some of these symptoms resolve in 3 months, but very pessimistic right now due to fatigue.     
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: just scheduled an EMG
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
I've had the twitch for four months and fatigue. You and I both need to let this go. We'd have problems ther than twitching by now. An emg will be pointless and a waste of time and money. Furthermore, no one really seems content after the emg...you have HA not the big neuro nasty.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:25:12 PM »
Well it was his decision to schedule the EMG.  I didn't push or demand it.  He just didn't see anything based on the exam that would indicate motor neuron disease.  My mind is telling me that's good but there are always atypical heterogenous cases that may be very rare, but do present themselves
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:14:39 AM »
Atypical sure. After three months of twitching? No. You'd notice something else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:15:26 AM »
In three months if you don't develop any new symptoms then cancel the emg. Do yourself a favor, man.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »
I agree totally - but I want these current symptoms to get a bit better, they don't get much worse, but not better.  Waking up every day with uncomfortable tension in my cheeks, shoulder fatigue, general fatigue, tongue tingling, and now shots of finger pain on only one finger is really scaring me.  No doctor I see is scared though.  Treating the anxiety too. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: