Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: food allergy fears  (Read 99 times)

Offline JenBNimble

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
food allergy fears
« on: May 06, 2014, 09:46:32 AM »
This has got to be the most ridiculous thing I've ever worried about  ::)
I have pretty bad seasonal allergies, and I have a couple of foods (bananas, melons, avocado) that cause mild oral symptoms. An allergist told me that this is oral allergy syndrome, it's related to the pollen allergies and it's not dangerous. Well suddenly now I'm worried that I'm going to develop a true food allergy to something and have a severe reaction. Pretty much any time I eat now I start feeling like my tongue is swelling and my throat is closing up. I really need to get this under control since, obviously, I have to eat.

Anyone had this fear and been able to get over it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: food allergy fears
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 10:43:21 AM »
I have weird oral symptoms when I eat certain things - bananas make my mouth burn, and cucumbers make me runny-nosed and phlegmy - and I too avoid them for fear of developing a deadly allergy.  I know that's supposedly not how it works, but tell my anxiety...

And yeah I went through that, avoiding other foods I thought I was allergic to that would surely kill me.  Eventually saw an allergist, tested negative for actual food allergies, and just did my best to believe it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline scared_dad

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: food allergy fears
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:37:31 AM »
Your allergist sounds right to me. I believe those foods are related to pollen.

I went through that with berries. I convinced myself that my throat was tingly and constricting every time I ate any kind of berry. It also moved onto to other foods. It was just seasonal allergies and maybe some anxiety/acid reflux mixed into the equation.

I got over it because my son developed food allergies. I witnessed him having a true allergic reaction to food and realized I was not having that at all. An allergic reaction to food involves things like uncontrollable coughing, swelling, vomiting and  much worse. Trust me, if you have a food allergy, you know it. Now, I just worry about my son all the time instead of my imaginary food allergy.

If you are really worried, you can take a skin prick test to put the fear behind you.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: