Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Back at square one?  (Read 246 times)

Offline bababel

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
Back at square one?
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:40:49 AM »
I was doing well on 75 mg of sertraline for about 7 weeks but then anxiety started coming back. My psychiatrist put me up to 100 mg over two weeks ago and I haven't been getting better. In fact, I just took my first Xanax in a very long time because I woke up with a terrible panic attack. I am still trembling and finding it hard to breathe.

I really hope the sertraline isn't pooping out on me already. He said I can go up to 125 mg if I feel like it. I am considering it but don't know if it will make a difference.

Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Back at square one?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:13:57 AM »
My psychiatrist put me up to 100 mg over two weeks ago and I haven't been getting better. In fact, I just took my first Xanax in a very long time because I woke up with a terrible panic attack. I am still trembling and finding it hard to breathe.

Unfortunately, one of the biggest problems with antidepressants is they often make anxiety worse initially and when the dose is increased and this seems to be what is happening with you atm. You should begin to feel a lessening of this heightened anxiety soon.

I really hope the sertraline isn't pooping out on me already. He said I can go up to 125 mg if I feel like it. I am considering it but don't know if it will make a difference.

Most need to be on 100-150mg sertraline to get good results, some need the maximum recommended 200mg (300mg with medical supervision) and there are even a few on higher doses. It all comes down to your individual biology. I'm one of those that needs to be at high doses to get a good response from antidepressants.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 10:54:36 PM »
Thank you so much for your response, Ian.

I was expecting slightly heightened anxiety when I went up to 100 mg, but I didn't think it would happen so long after I increased. I went up to 125 mg today just in case 100 mg isn't enough for me. I don't want the sertraline to poop-out on me so I'd rather be on the safe side.  Should I wait another 4 weeks or so before I decide whether or not this drug is right for me?

Thanks again for your help, Ian. I greatly appreciate it!  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 11:48:28 PM »
I just wanted to pop-in and say I wish you the best :yes:. It can be incredibly frustrating when you see a glimmer of improvement.....where you COULD be, then have the anxiety drag you under again. I have GAD but also was getting terrible PMDD symptoms, so I'd start to feel pretty good then have that horrible hormonal swing drag me back under. Fortunately my really severe swings have gotten well under control with hormone treatment, but still trying to find the right therapy/med combo. I'm hopeful that I'm there, just have to wait a few more weeks to see if it holds steady.

Long story short, I get what you're going through and it's tough. Hope the bumped dose helps you out ;D
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:13:34 AM »
I was expecting slightly heightened anxiety when I went up to 100 mg, but I didn't think it would happen so long after I increased.

Some get an heightened anxiety within an hour or two of the first dose increase, in others it doesn't happen until weeks later, and of course some have non. It all comes down to your genes.

Should I wait another 4 weeks or so before I decide whether or not this drug is right for me?

I know it isn't easy having to wait and wait with the possibility of it coming to nought, but I'd give it at least 6 weeks before thinking about pulling the plug.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
I just wanted to pop-in and say I wish you the best :yes:. It can be incredibly frustrating when you see a glimmer of improvement.....where you COULD be, then have the anxiety drag you under again. I have GAD but also was getting terrible PMDD symptoms, so I'd start to feel pretty good then have that horrible hormonal swing drag me back under. Fortunately my really severe swings have gotten well under control with hormone treatment, but still trying to find the right therapy/med combo. I'm hopeful that I'm there, just have to wait a few more weeks to see if it holds steady.

Long story short, I get what you're going through and it's tough. Hope the bumped dose helps you out ;D

Thanks for sharing, AM! I too suffer from PMDD and this month it seemed as though I wasn't on sertraline at all because my anxiety was so bad. I think the bump in dose will help. I am optimistic as I know I responded so well to the drug for two months before my anxiety started creeping up again.

I hope your med combo works well for you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2014, 10:54:27 PM »
I was expecting slightly heightened anxiety when I went up to 100 mg, but I didn't think it would happen so long after I increased.

Some get an heightened anxiety within an hour or two of the first dose increase, in others it doesn't happen until weeks later, and of course some have non. It all comes down to your genes.

Should I wait another 4 weeks or so before I decide whether or not this drug is right for me?

I know it isn't easy having to wait and wait with the possibility of it coming to nought, but I'd give it at least 6 weeks before thinking about pulling the plug.

Ian

I will definitely give it another 6 weeks before I consider changing medication. I went up to 125 mg two days ago so I know that giving it a couple of months from this point would be a good idea. Thank you!  :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 11:52:19 AM »
So I've been at 125 mg for the past week and a half and I am still quite anxious. I haven't had panic attacks or anything, but my anxiety during the first half of the day is still quite high. I don't know whether to attribute it to upping the sertraline or the sertraline just not working. Well, it must be working at least a little because my anxiety is definitely more manageable, but I really want it gone.

Am I expecting too much from the medication? Is there such thing as full remission from symptoms? Should I go up to 150 mg??
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 06:15:53 PM »
Am I expecting too much from the medication? Is there such thing as full remission from symptoms? Should I go up to 150 mg??

You need to give the higher dose time to work. A week and a half is way too early to draw an conclusions. Give it at least 6 weeks before considering going to 150mg/day.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline bababel

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 10:37:04 PM »
Thanks, Ian. Patience is a virtue and all that jazz. I forget that sometimes.  :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: