Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Always rushing to the ER?  (Read 599 times)

Offline kercare

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Always rushing to the ER?
« on: May 06, 2014, 01:57:41 AM »
My hypochondria is pretty bad. With every new pain or sickness I feel like it is something major and I need to see a doctor ASAP. For instance, even when I have a simple sinus infection, I feel the need to rush to the ER. Or even a bout with diarrhea and I automatically think the worst and want to see a doctor right away. About a month ago I was having real bad GERD and went to the doctor twice in one day-different doctors- and the day after went to the ER. Now I am sick again with something that is giving me a stomach ache. I am trying to stay away from the ER's because 1.) I can't afford the bill that comes with it, and 2.) I am trying to control my hypochondria and my anxiety by telling myself I don't need an ER because I know it is not life treating,

Does anyone else always feel the need to rush to the doctor with every sickness? Or what do you tell yourself to prevent you from rushing to the ER and knowing that it is just something simple and you will not die.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Always rushing to the ER?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 02:16:51 AM »
I used to be like that, probably because I grew up in a family that liked to "fix" illnesses right away, whether it be with medicine, or doctor appointments, or ER visits. For me, experience has been the best teacher. The more illnesses I survive and the more doctor visits that end with "You're fine, just go home and rest", the more confident I am in my body's ability to "fix" its own problems. I've also started trying home remedies as a first response to minor ailments. A lot of them really do work.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kercare

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 02:54:07 AM »
My family is just the same, PsalmSeven. Whenever someone is sick with a simple thing like a headache or stomachache, my family always asks the sick person if they need to go the ER. They never mention just taking medicines or laying down.
I have heard home remedies work pretty well and they have been around for centuries.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 03:35:42 AM »
I think first realizing why you are going to a doc is important.  You are looking for reassurance...something not for the sickness but the anxiety.  Second, its about practice.  The more you are able to self soothe the better you get at it.  If it's nothing serious...scratchy throat, runny nose etc...then try conservative measures at home and keep a diary of the results.  When you get anxious you can go through the diary and see how many times you had minor health issues that didn't need the ER.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 06:32:00 AM »
Welcome to my world, over 50 ER trips, one job lost. It gets better, I promise.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:23:06 AM »
A little over a week ago I was at my regular doc, urgent care, GI doc and 2 different Er's. They always say everything is OK. Now I'm ready to go cause I feel dizzy :( Its a horrible cycle.
Bookmark and Share

Offline spaceplus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:31:41 AM »
I could see myself having done this in the past.

The thing is, I would feel mortified showing up at the same ER more than once with a complaint that turns out (according the the ER doctors) to be nothing, and then being looked at askance as a 'malingerer' or histrionic/hypochondriac.

I just went to the ER last week for the first time in 10 years and stayed overnight in the hospital. I was given the usual cardio tests (EKG, echocardio, chest x-ray, cardiologist physical exam, bloodwork, 24-hour EKG monitoring, stress test), which I 'passed'. I feel like I've now 'shot my wad' as far as the ER goes, for the foreseeable future. I already felt like the hospital doctors were judging me  negatively last week. My pride won't let me go back unless I absolutely must.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:39:19 AM »
This may not apply to everyone on the forum, but my HA is an extension of mild OCD.  I consider all of the following behaviors to be "reassurance seeking" behaviors that I try very, very hard to avoid.  It's tough but my anxiety does lessen when I try to keep from doing them:

1)  Actively scanning my body for pain, nausea, lumps, bumps, bruises, etc.

2)  Calling my doctor's office to speak to a nurse.

3)  Calling my health insurance company's Nurse Line for reassurance. (If your symptoms are even borderline questionable they advise you to go to the hospital as a CYA thing).

4)  Visiting an urgent care center. (I do this way too often).

5)  Visiting an ER department (I'm better about this. We've lived in the same town for 17 years and although I've been tempted, I've never had to go to the ER).

6)  Seeking reassurance from family and friends.  ("I'm okay, right?  You'd tell me if you thought anything was wrong?")

7)  Googlilng or researching any symptoms I'm experiencing.  (This is my most troublesome compulsion. If I'm not online researching, I feel like the cancer monster is going to jump out from behind a door and tackle me.)

What works for me most of the time is a delaying tactic.  I tell myself I can get online and do some research but first I need to do something else for 30 minutes:  A quick workout, working on a crochet project, reading a chapter in a book, walking outside and sitting in the sun, basically anything that does NOT involve the computer because it's too easy to open another tab.  Telling myself I can't research at all sends my anxiety spiraling out of control.  Thirty minutes of a different activity is usually enough to get my mind going in a better direction.  Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline kercare

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 02:33:20 PM »
I actually ended up going to an Urgent Care this morning. And of course there was nothing seriously wrong that they could find. I think the ER in my town knows me by now. That's why I went to another place this time.
Not knowing what's going on with my body scares me! I am trying to get better. I am not using symptom checkers as much. And I try to tell myself I will be okay. But it's crazy what anxiety can make you feel and do! :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:41 AM »
I just wanted to tell everyone here who is afraid to go to the same ER multiple times, I used to think like that, but if your anxiety is at its peak and you need to go then go, even though they know you and in all likelyhood your anxiety is flagged in the computer, they are still obligated to give you triage and check your most vital systems. Even if there is nothing wrong with you. Who cares what they think?????!?!! They don't feel what we feel, they dont have a clue what it feels like, they just read about it in school.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 02:00:05 PM »
Back in March I went to the ER because I thought I was having a bad reaction to the prednisone my primary care doctor prescribed for sciatica.  It was late on a Monday night so I just drove to the ER. Well, I learned my lesson.  My new individual policy under the Affordable Care Act does not pay for ER visits.  They throw the charge into your deductible and mine is $2,500.00, so I am out-of-pocket $1,000.00 for the approximately 10 minutes total attention I received before the ER sent me home. 
Next time, and I hope there is no next time, I'm going to Urgent Care or waking up my primary care doctor.
I also agree with Space-Plus that I've used my "chit" at the ER for the foreseeable future.  Even if I had serious chest pain I would be reluctant to go back, not just because of the cost, but because when it turns out to just be panic I will feel humiliated again.  (I know that defies common sense, but we anxious types have a hard way of distinguishing true symptoms from phantoms.  With us it's more likely to be that anxiety monster and not real.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Illusionfive

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
I've been a lot too. Many tests and all. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline alesha

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 07:41:41 PM »
Fhestia, you described me to a T. I just posted something about this. Always feeling like with every symptom its the worst thing and I am just going to drop dead. Its a awful feeling. Always feel like I need to be ready to go to the ER.
Bookmark and Share

Offline abbypoo

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 08:02:29 PM »
I had a sinus infection a few weeks ago and I had a panic attack. My mom told me I could not go to the emergency room but I sure did want to at the time.  :P
This sounds severe and it is getting in the way of your life. Stop spending money on these trips and spend money seeing a psychologist or psychiatrist. They will help you and give you methods to cope with how you are feeling. WE ALL GET ACHES IN PAINS! It is a normal part of life. Just remind yourself that. By the way, do you live with family or a partner? Have one of them calm you down during one of these episodes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: