Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: heart palps and head rush  (Read 186 times)

Offline chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
heart palps and head rush
« on: May 05, 2014, 09:26:53 PM »
So i have been experiencing weird heart palpitations for a week now. My heart would just stop beating for 1 second and then have a big THUD and sudden head rush like i can hear my blood swooshing to my head. I would get thiss like 15 times a day. I had my heart skip and so i went to cardiologist 5 months ago and it was just anxiety but the heart stopping and head rush is new. Is this also anxiety?
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: heart palps and head rush
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 11:56:26 PM »
Can anyone help me out please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 01:40:30 AM »
That sounds exactly like what I have. I've had the "pause--THUD" for 10 year and finally mentioned it to my doctor, who hooked me up to one of those 24-hour holter monitors, and it turned out I was experiencing harmless premature atrial contractions (PACs). That's all, no medications or follow-ups needed. Apparently PACs and PVCs (premature ventricular contractions) are very common and are not considered a threat to heart health, even if you experience them frequently.

They can FEEL scary though, so you might want to try a few things to avoid them. To start, cut out all sources of caffeine from your diet, including coffee, tea, and chocolate. Make sure you're getting plenty of rest and that you're sticking to a regular sleep schedule. Tiredness can bring on stronger PACs/PVCs. Are you female? If so, be aware that hormone changes can trigger PACs/PVCs as well. They might worsen during pregnancy or around the time of your period.

Personally I've found that the best cure is sleep... Even a quick nap can "reset" my heartbeat so I wake feeling normal. But you might find something that works better for you.

If these irregular beats still bother you, go back to the cardiologist and tell them your concerns. They should be able to prescribe medication to "normalize" your heartbeat, and hopefully give you peace of mind. This medication was offered to me but I declined because my PACs don't scare me anymore. They're just something I learn to live with and ignore. =P
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:18:05 AM »
Sleep is the best cur. Most of these episodes happen when we are tired. You may not feel tired but mentally you are more tired than you think from anxiety. Head rushes are very scary but lots of people have them. I do and i have been to cardiologist and had brain mri. Not for that but i still had one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline spaceplus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 10:52:10 AM »
does it happen when you are standing up from a sitting position or changing position?

there is a condition that a lot of cardiophobes with 'cardiac awareness' sometimes have, where they have low blood pressure on standing, causing the heart to slow down to a forceful thud, almost as though it were stopping, then speed back up.
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:22:30 PM »
It happens whenever im laying down or sitting. I dont feel it when im walking around
Bookmark and Share

Offline PsalmSeven

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:05:53 AM »
That definitely sounds like PACs/PVCs. Totally harmless. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: