Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Ladies: Obsessed with Missing Period  (Read 341 times)

Offline VeryScary

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Ladies: Obsessed with Missing Period
« on: May 05, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
I havenít yet missed it Ė but convinced I will. Hereís the rundown:

• April 2: Panic attack and go for annual pap and HPV. Because I had spotting in 2012 and I talked endlessly about how I don't believe my fibroids could do this, I ended up with an endo biopsy. HORROR.
    April 8: Lost about four lbs before learning all tests were normal.
    April 14: Period comes. Why so short? OMG Ė itís not gonna come next month. Severe stress ensues.
    April 15-25: A variety of signals that ovulation is pending. Let it lie right? Wrong, I have to get an Ovulation Test Kit! Have you ever done one of these? Yeah, donít.
    April 27: Become convinced I will miss period and this will result in my learning I have ovarian cancer. Why ovaries? Because cervix and endometrium are covered already. I recognize the anxiety is floating.
    April 28: After extreme panic, I rush into ER, fein pain and get a transvaginal and abdominal. They find nothing on my ovaries. I become obsessed with ovarian measurements.
    Also: Why donít they see anything on there Ė no cyst or fluid. Does that mean no ovulation? Does that mean ovulation? What is going on???
Present: I am experiencing things that seem very PMS like, so hopeful a period comes. But convinced I have stressed myself out of a cycle, and once the period is missed:
- I will have to go to a new doctor (too embaressed to go to original and admit the ultrasound situation) who will want me to repeat everything all over again which will result in the REAL diagnosis (since I don't really believe my tests)
-  I will miss a period and be so stressed out the entire cycle will repeat (so Iíll be so stressed out that once again, Iíll miss)

I have at least a 12 year history of extreme stress levels and havenít missed (had a four-day late cycle though in 2012) Ė so where this is coming from is strictly based on my personal fear theme for 2014.

I just need a sound voice of reason at this point Ö Iíve tried so hard to tell myself repeatedly that I have not missed a period and if I did, a doctor would either say wait it out or here's some progesterone, keep it movin'. But the what if voices are PROFOUND.

Some of you have seen how this has been playing out over the last month. This isht has really, REALLY started creating a problem: I was sent home to destress for two days from work last week after my boss caught me crying. I cannot seem to calm down - and it's so bizarre because I'VE ALREADY HAD ALL THE TESTING.

I welcome any bit of peace. For real.
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 12
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Ladies: Obsessed with Missing Period
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:22:32 PM »
Missing or delayed periods are SOOOOOO common.  It really is no big deal at all.

I would urge you to treat your anxiety.  That's the only way you'll be able to let go of this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daisymae

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:40:52 PM »
I know exactly how you feel!  I'm to the point too where I obsess about every.single.aspect. of my cycle.  Did I ovulate?  Will I miss a period?  Then when my period starts...am I bleeding too much, not enough?  It's so exhausting.  I dread every part of my cycle because I know if anything seems amiss I go into complete panic.  This HA is unbearable sometimes.  The best I can say is hang in there and try to use rationale to calm down instead of relying on emotions.  Easier said than done, huh?   :spineyes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 07:52:06 PM »
I was JUST about to post about this. I've had all the typical PMS symptoms for the past 2 weeks now, including debilitating abdominal cramps. Yet my period is over a week late right now. I'm super worried (and I know I'm not pregnant) it's something really serious like a gynecological or gastrointestinal cancer.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Chrestomanci

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 08:05:27 PM »
Hi,

Back in the day, during times of super stress, my period was delayed up to 2 weeks sometimes (making me think I was the New Virgin Mary or something, haha), or sometimes it would be much lighter than normal, or the blood would be darker, etc. Stress does some weird things with the body, sometimes, and this is definitely no stranger to a lot of anxious ladies, I bet.

One thing I thought of - is it possible to get on a type of birth control? I knew it helped me stress out less over them because then I knew when to expect my periods to happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
When the real problem lies in your brain, you can have all of the tests in the world on everything else and not have it help ease your mind. You have to treat your anxiety. I had fears along those same lines because I had an abnormal pap 2 years ago. Actually, I faked pain once to get a transvag at the ER, too. It was clear except for one cyst, but cysts are super common. Last year, my pap came back normal, too. But that didn't help me at all. I was still terrified. My periods were all over the place. I'd stress myself into infections, even. Not even kidding.

BUT, since treating my anxiety and really chilling out, my periods are actually generally very, very consistent and on the dot, and I'm living my life and able to be happy again. So, treat your anxiety. It's the best thing you can do when everything else checks out.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline VeryScary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 10:00:59 PM »
I was JUST about to post about this. I've had all the typical PMS symptoms for the past 2 weeks now, including debilitating abdominal cramps. Yet my period is over a week late right now. I'm super worried (and I know I'm not pregnant) it's something really serious like a gynecological or gastrointestinal cancer.

I haven't been obsessing all the time but it is definitely something that comes and goes: This time last year it was all about my fears that the period wouldn't leave. Sigh.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VeryScary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 10:06:28 PM »
When the real problem lies in your brain, you can have all of the tests in the world on everything else and not have it help ease your mind. You have to treat your anxiety. I had fears along those same lines because I had an abnormal pap 2 years ago. Actually, I faked pain once to get a transvag at the ER, too. It was clear except for one cyst, but cysts are super common. Last year, my pap came back normal, too. But that didn't help me at all. I was still terrified. My periods were all over the place. I'd stress myself into infections, even. Not even kidding.

BUT, since treating my anxiety and really chilling out, my periods are actually generally very, very consistent and on the dot, and I'm living my life and able to be happy again. So, treat your anxiety. It's the best thing you can do when everything else checks out.

It makes me feel better to know I'm not the first one with the old ER trick - I had felt EXTRA pathetic about that. There was no particular trigger for these lady issues. Just started in 2012.

My counselor also says I have to target my anxiety. I did ok today focusing on living in the now. But I succumbed to Googling after work. But you are right - no test is gonna fix this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline VeryScary

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »
Hi,

Back in the day, during times of super stress, my period was delayed up to 2 weeks sometimes (making me think I was the New Virgin Mary or something, haha), or sometimes it would be much lighter than normal, or the blood would be darker, etc. Stress does some weird things with the body, sometimes, and this is definitely no stranger to a lot of anxious ladies, I bet.

One thing I thought of - is it possible to get on a type of birth control? I knew it helped me stress out less over them because then I knew when to expect my periods to happen.

Birth control kind of triggers New fears sadly. I have really painted myself into a corner on this one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sickofsickness

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 10:41:23 PM »
How is it that I've had all the abdominal pain that I associate with my period for the past two weeks even though my period hasn't shown up? That's what scares me. :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:47:48 AM »
How is it that I've had all the abdominal pain that I associate with my period for the past two weeks even though my period hasn't shown up? That's what scares me. :(

You might be having some gas related discomfort. It can feel very similar to lady cramps. I would suggest next time the pain comes around to try a gas reducing medication and see if that has any effect.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Tags: