Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Armpit/breast question  (Read 97 times)

Offline InTheMoment

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Armpit/breast question
« on: May 05, 2014, 01:38:02 PM »
Let me preface this by saying that I am in the midst of a VERY stressful time in my life --  it's all good stuff, but involves moving my family across the country.  I have been stressed to the max by the whole process, plus I'm in one of those phases where it seems like I see cancer everywhere I turn.  One of my son's former teachers, the dad of one of the kids at my daughter's bus stop, a friend of a friend.  It feels like it's everywhere right now.  I'm doing all the right things, but I'm still feeling very vulnerable and on-edge.

About 1.5 years ago I noticed that the contour of one armpit was different from the other.  Basically, there was a bit of armpit towards to bottom that seemed to stick out on one side more than the other.  It's definitely visible, but I can't feel anything when I press on it --- it's just a fattier area if that makes any sense.  About 9 months after first noticing that, I was diagnosed with a benign tumor in that armpit. It was actually a breast tumor, but in the armpit.  I don't think that the tumor was related to the different contours.  The tumor was removed in December and, at first, I didn't notice the difference in contours (probably because of all the swelling).  I'm seeing it again now (maybe more pronounced?)  and trying to just tell myself that it's normal asymmetry.  I was doing mostly OK with that until today when I got out of the shower and noticed a bunch of dry skin on my nipple -- one the same side as the weird armpit.  I know it's normal to get some flaky skin on your nipples, but this was more than I ever remember seeing.  It rubbed off (it wasn't even really attached, if that makes sense) and my nipple looks totally normal underneath.  I checked for discharge and there was nothing.  I had some dry skin on the other side, but only about 10% of what was on this side. 

I am, of course, freaked out that there's some sort of cancer in the breast tissue under my arm when has spread to my nipple.  I am up-to-date on my mammo (8 months), but 4 months late on my GYN annual because we're moving out of state and I need to find a new doctor.  I can't even do that until late next month because our new insurance is very regional and I'm 1100 miles away from our new home.  As part of my road to surgery, I had an ultrasound on this armpit in December.  They were looking at the mass, but it's not a big area and I have to image they'd have seen something else while they were in there, right?

I realize that a big portion of what's going on is a reaction to the other big stress in my life, but it doesn't make it any less scary.  I'm trying to stay calm and reasonable, but it's hard. 

So help me -- armpit asymmetry isn't really the harbinger to anything sinister (especially where there are no discernible lumps) and women get skin that rubs off their nipple sometimes, right?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: