Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Soooo tired of dealing w/GAD...40 yrs....  (Read 223 times)

Offline lavkc

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Soooo tired of dealing w/GAD...40 yrs....
« on: May 05, 2014, 03:49:54 AM »
 I have dealt with this horrendous mental illness for far toooo long! Has affected my life in such negative ways................ I still hang on, but none of my friends "get it".  I have been thinking of just never talking to anyone again!!!    They just don't get it..................................    :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Soooo tired of dealing w/GAD...40 yrs....
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 05:11:05 AM »
It is hard to understand something that you have never experienced. Bit like someone telling me of the pain of having a baby. I could only go ouch. I wouldn't get it because I am male and would never have to have a baby. Your friends never had anxiety issues. They just don't know what it is like for you. No matter what you say to them there is nothing that can mimic what you go through for them to fully feel as you do. Which means we tend to tell people on a need to know basis. I think, other than my family, only 3 people are aware of my anxiety condition. I don't bother telling others. I see no point at all. I wouldn't expect them to understand it. I wouldn't expect them to know what to do. Or even what to say. As it is not an issue for them. It can be hard to keep friends with an anxiety condition. We might not be up to doing things they want to do. So we kind of hang back. Let them get on with it. That can be the down side of anxiety. But look around you for others things to do. I am sure there are things you always wanted to try your hand at. You might find something new you are good at. That your anxiety doesn't get in the way of. Just try and keep positive.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Mishpaz

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »
I agree with Cuchculan, I only have told certain people about my issues with anxiety. I have had problems with anxiety and panic attacks since I was 18 , am now 50. I don't think anyone who has never had an attack can fully understand what it is we go through. It has definitely affected my social life, as I am more anxious in social situations and have a tendency to keep to myself. When I do something social I make sure I give myself a pat on the back after.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 12:27:10 AM »
I have only had GAD for maybe half a year.  But I am pretty open about it.  Some of my friends get it, some may not.
I also started a Meetup group in Chicago for folks with GAD.  First meetings is Saturday. 12 going and 6 on waiting list.
There is a good feeling from being able to talk openly with others with similar issues, I find.

Lavc, have you see a therapist, tried medicines and different strategies.  I really like ACT therapy.  I'm taking Buspar.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: