Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I just want this worry over with!! Question on nails.  (Read 242 times)

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I just want this worry over with!! Question on nails.
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:13:07 PM »
Sorry guys, I guess I am just in panic mode tonight.

I have an appointment with my doctors tomorrow and I am scared that they are going to tell me that I have something awful. Has any ladies had experience getting horizontal ridges on their nails after getting theirs nails done with regular polish or Shellac (not acyrilic). I am trying to understand where these ridges are coming from.

I am so worried that they are going to tell me there is something majorly wrong with me. Over the past year, my skin on my face has been itchy and off, my knees are cracking, I think my hair is thinning, my nails have gotten horizontal ridges, and sometimes my mind is foggy. Plus over the past week, I have had a couple of light night sweats, which I never get. I am 36 and I would guess maybe some of this (the knee cracking, maybe the skin issues) is as a result of getting older, but all of it at once?

Completely convinced something major is wrong with me. I told my doctor I specifically wanted to talk about my nails and my anxiety, but I know I am going to yet again give a laundry list of concerns.

I am really hoping they do blood work and discover I just have some vitamin deficiency. But I am afraid that is too much to hope for.
Bookmark and Share

Offline IAMHEALTHY

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I just want this worry over with!! Question on nails.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 02:11:22 AM »
could just be a vitamin deficiency altho its proably nothing

best wishes :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 08:31:30 AM »
I agree -- it sounds like it could be a vitamin deficiency. I'm sure your doctor will do blood tests to check if he/she thinks that's what it could be. It's funny that you mention getting older possibly being part of it. I'm 35 & I'm starting to wonder if that's not some of my issue, too! I recently noticed that my vision isn't as good as it used to be when it gets dark. This may have been going on for a while, but I'm sure I suddenly became aware of it due to my anxiety issues. I know this happens as you get older, but all I can think about are my teens/early 20s driving after dark, going to concerts, etc. Haha! Now I'm OLD, lol!

Hope all goes well. Let us know how it goes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilyofthevalley

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
Hi guys! Just following up for you with my appointment last week. It went well, no blood work actually done. The doctors looked at all my concerns (except for the knee cracking). She determined that they are not related to one another and she said very firmly, but kindly (you are not a very sick person, you do not have a major illness).

My toenails and thumbnail ridges are actually two different things- Toenails are natural aging, Thumbnails look to be damage to the cuticle when getting a manicure.

My hair thinning, she said looks to be normal. Lots of women get thinning hair as they get older and especially where my hair loss seems to be on my widows peak, right near my part, she said it is where the fair is taking most of the trauma.

My skin itching on my face was a little tougher, she stated that it could be dermatitus on my face, or perhaps I might be having a slight allergic reaction to the sun. I am using Cortizone when I have a flare up to try to manage the ichiness, since that has helped me, but only when it is really bad. I am also trying some other things to manager the itchiness itself.

She also gave me an anxiety perscription which I have not filled yet.

I have been reading that a lot of what I am experiencing is also off set by bad diet and stress. Well, as a hypocondriac, I seem to have stress 24/7. I think I am going to take a homeopathic track and try to help myself with meditation, a better diet, and exercise and see if it helps the symptoms as well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 02:43:54 PM »
Yay! So glad everything is ok! I think you're smart to try meditation, better diet & exercise to see if it helps. I'm trying to work on those things, as well. And also, I'm trying to overcome my anxiety issues by picking things to focus on. I'm a stay-at-home mom living in a rural area without a vehicle right now, so having projects lined up to keep my mind occupied has helped a ton. (For example, right now I'm sorting through the kids clothing to see what they've outgrown so I can get rid of some clutter!) We're also looking for a vehicle so I don't feel so trapped.

I wish you luck!!!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: