Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Underactive thyroid, hypothyroid and twitching  (Read 138 times)

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Underactive thyroid, hypothyroid and twitching
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:36:53 PM »
So i keep getting twitches all through my body, not really over and over again in the same spot but my leg, then arm, my sides, my ribs, tummy, and its been happening for a week or 2 now constantly, recently diagnosed with having an underactive thyroid, been taking medication for 4 days which has helped the carpal tunnel syndrome, but are the twitching and thyroid related. Im freaking its something serious like a nerve or muscle disease or something. My calcium levels are fine also. Iv seen people with hypothyroidism saying they get twitchy eye lids but not seen anyone say they get it through out their body and tummy and sides. Someone? Anyone? Please :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Walnut

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
Re: Underactive thyroid, hypothyroid and twitching
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:13:08 PM »
I do not know anything about thyroid disorders but, I do know about muscle twitching. Muscle twitching is called fasciculations. I have dealt with it for many years it was at its worse when I obsessed over it. I drove me to fears or MS, ALS etc. What I have learned over the years chatting with people on this forum is that twitching is a very common symptom of anxiety.  I literally dont think I have a muscle in my body that hasnt twitched. There is a diagnosis out there called BFS. Benign fasciculation syndrome. They have a forum for it and everything. It is a harmless condition. Talk with your doctor about the twitches and she what they say about it being related to your thyroid or the meds. Twitching in itself is harmless. Its just annoying.  If you had muscle wasting or atrophy then you would have a concern. I can assure you that majority of muscle twitching is just stress/anxiety. I hope you find some relief soon from your symptoms.
Bookmark and Share
I am horrible about forgetting which threads I have replied to. If you dont get a reply back from me feel free to message me.

My screen name used to be "Nutty" Ive been a member since 2008. I forgot what email I used back then so I cant login to my old name.

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Underactive thyroid, hypothyroid and twitching
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 05:00:21 AM »
Exactly though, how do i know i dont have a serious condition. My back hurts, i have trouble swallowing, i was weak in my thumb but that has gone away since i started taking meds for my thyroid but i do still feel weak and exhausted all over..
Bookmark and Share

Tags: