Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: AIDS fear taking over my mind  (Read 284 times)

Offline funnybunny

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
AIDS fear taking over my mind
« on: May 04, 2014, 12:45:13 PM »
I work as a dental assistant. I work around blood almost every day and with a large variety of patients. I have been almost poked and once I even thought I had gotten pricked by a needle (patient was HIV- AFAIK)  but it had not drawn any blood and left no mark. Most days I am not too concerned about germs and just do my job. Some days are a lot harder.

Lately I've been getting a weird rash on my neck. I used to get hives from anxiety but this is very different - it starts as a red patch and the next day is really dry, almost scaly. I have tried antihistamines (thought it was hives) and antifungal creams (thought maybe ringworm since I have dogs and young patients) to no effect. A similar rash occurred almost 2 months ago - I got home from work after a really stressful day and the top of my hands randomly started feeling like they were burning/itching and they had little red dots like hives suddenly appear but the next day they became intensely dry. They cleared up with some hydrocortisone cream maybe 3 days later and it hasn't happened since. At the time, I thought maybe it was because I had a latex sensitivity so I switched gloves for a while but eventually switched back to regular gloves and it hasn't happened since.

I was out of town for a conference this weekend and I went out drinking with my group and I woke up with this red patch on my neck and cheek. The next day, the area turned extremely dry. It doesn't really itch. I had a smaller patch of this occur the week before and it is almost completely cleared up now thanks to the hydrocortisone cream.

I do not know what this is but I googled red dry rash and AIDS came up, as well as lymphoma. I am really tired and I have been feeling hot during the day (but to be fair, it is like 80 degrees here usually and my office is stuffy and I wear a jacket). I do not have a fever, cough, flu or anything of that nature but I do get small headaches probably every other day. I also am pretty clumsy and I forget things but this has been occurring for a while. It's not too bad but I do trip over things a lot and sometimes forget to do things. My hands also shake sometimes. I had an stomach disturbance the morning after the night I went out drinking but I think it was because I had too much to drink and it cleared out my system.

Has anyone dealt with this fear before? I can't help but feel like maybe I accidentally touched blood and didn't know it or stabbed myself with something and didn't know it. I don't know why I keep thinking this. I really want to get an HIV/Hep screening just to put my mind at ease but then I'm scared of what the results might be. My husband has gotten so used to my fears that now he just says "you're fine" and completely ignores the fact that my neck feels like a desert.  :sprachlos020: Please, help me set my mind at ease. This fear is really freaking me out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: AIDS fear taking over my mind
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:02 PM »
It sounds like you have to eczema...annoying but totally manageable.  My ex had this and tea tree oil fixed in a few weeks. You can get this at your local health food store or GNC.  I had a huge AIDS scare back in 1990 because I had received transfusions following a car accident in 1985.  I am fine. So are you.  Slather those bad boys in tea tree and a follow up of Shea butter and it will be fine.  Hang in there! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 02:00:41 PM »
Could be dermatitis, i get it on my hands and my friend gets it on her hands, neck, face. Sounds like the same thing
Bookmark and Share

Offline funnybunny

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 02:13:02 PM »
I had thought maybe eczema but I read that mostly kids have it and adults rarely spontaneously get it, which is why I was scared. It's not super ugly and is only red if I mess with it (which is hard, I keep checking to see if the dry areas have gotten less dry and they haven't). I seem to remember the patches on my hands clearing up in a week or more but they did eventually clear up. The slightly itchy and dry areas extend from my left ear down my jawline down my neck only on that side, stopping at my collar bone. I will get some tea tree oil and see if that helps. Also will try to get a good eczema lotion or face wash. Will these things help? Is eczema not a linked symptom to HIV? I don't want to google anymore. I just thought it was weird that since I have no history of it, just hives, it would come up like this.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:39:57 PM »
Just have the test and get this fear over with. You don't have HIV. I think 90% percent of the people who have it end up with fever and the worst flu ever. You have a rash....get real.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:40:33 PM »
When i get stressed i get dermatitis in my hands, they go red, dry, crack and bleed, itch and hurt. U really probably have dermatitis. Google it, not aids related
Bookmark and Share

Tags: