Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Overcoming depression  (Read 226 times)

Offline creamcheese

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Overcoming depression
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:25:55 AM »
I know that there are people that may never really "overcome" depression, but I was wondering if anybody has success stories or suggestions on how to make improvements. I have always been depressed since childhood, but I have had a huge episode 2 years ago that really affected my life. Previous to the episode, while I always had a mood issue, I was at least organized, clean, motivated, etc. Afterward, it took me a lot to do simple tasks like clean my room, leave my room, drive, do laundry, keep things neat and organized, keep an agenda book/planner. I lost motivation and became increasingly frustrated with everything in life. I am now doing a little better-I am not just sitting at home in my room-I am going out a lot (by myself or with family) , traveling, but I still feel like I cannot get myself to remain organized, be prompt and motivated. Any success stories would be appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline howifeel

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
  • Guilt is not a feeling but a verdict.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Overcoming depression
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 04:14:29 PM »
Thanks for your post.

I had treatment refractory depression. How I overcame it was a combination of things.

Unsuccessful attempts consisted of looking for a sudden fix from various things. One was exercise. Tried to exercise myself well. Then therapy. CBT, DBT. Then I gave in and tried meds. Took about 15-20 different meds. Took time off of work (got worse when I "took a break") worked more. Went to support groups. I would jump from one to the other. Eventually I was identified as treatment refractory and ECT was indicated.

What worked?
I went to a NAMI Connections group, then a Peer-To-Peer course. Learned that I needed to do all of the above systematically and together. I also learned that part of my mood disorder was related to lack of skills in solving some overwhelming problems. Today I know I have an illness that requires top priority over everything (yes, everything). Treatment first. However, if I think that only one  approach will suddenly fix me, I am on the wrong track. There is no sudden fix. I have not been hospitalized since March 2012. That's two years. No S/I for that duration either, and I help others face to face (even when I didn't feel like it, and not on the internet). I learned to accept doing what I did not feel like doing. I had to refrain from prejudice about what treatment would be effective. Decrease social media, and progressively increase social interaction. I have no problem telling another individual that they are too negative for me to be exposed to for the time being. Some say that I have become a little too frank about things. Maybe so, but it is helping. If someone is not good for me, I tell them asap that I am not hanging out with them for now as I don't feel they are good for my recovery. Nope, don't want to talk about it. We all know what's going on.

There are literally hundreds of positive people, who are anxiously waiting to help someone in your area.

Again, this is just me. I am happier than I ever felt in a long time. I never ever thought I would ever get better. That's nonsense. So sad that some end their life, when all they had to do was a little extra work and be really, really really patient with themselves. Allowing a setback or two without losing heart.
Bookmark and Share
I do things to feel better, I don't wait to feel better to do things.

Tags: