Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: OCD, Peter Sellers, and me-treating my OCD with humor  (Read 144 times)

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
OCD, Peter Sellers, and me-treating my OCD with humor
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:45:37 AM »
I had a bad intrusive thought moment yesterday. I stumbled into a trigger, of course, and I was fine until my OCD picked up on the fact that it was a trigger. I was immediately dragged into intrusive thought hell. I clawed and scraped to hold onto the the edge of reality, I was desperately practicing my CBT strategies when a funny thought popped into my head. It dawned on me that my OCD never goes away, even when I feel fine. It's always there, waiting for me to let my guard down. Then it dawned on me, my OCD is just like Cato from the Pink Panther movies.

If you're too young to have seen, or possibly even know what they are, the Pink Panther movies are comedies about a bumbling French police inspector, Clouseau, played by peter Sellers. One of the recurring gags is that he's instructed his servant Cato to attack him when he least expects it to help keep him on his toes. At least once per movie, Cato does this and the most incompetently hilarious battle ensues.

It dawned on me that as miserable as I feel with intrusive thoughts, that my relationship with OCD is similar to to Clouseau vs. Cato. Whenever I'm at my most vulnerable and unsuspecting, that's when OCD loves to strike.

One of my strategies is to find ways to treat my OCD humorously. If I can find a way to think about it as comic, despite the horror show in my head, it helps take away a little of its power. Any advantage I can get, I'll take.

Try it. The next time your intrusive thoughts are getting the better of you, watch this clip and think, "hey OCD, you're just Cato."
#Invalid YouTube Link#
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
Re: OCD, Peter Sellers, and me-treating my OCD with humor
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 09:46:14 AM »
Sorry, here's the link
http://youtu.be/29byfYNuuUM
Bookmark and Share

Offline Anxiousmind77

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:04 PM »
I'm a little late on this but what a great post! I try to to do the same thing with my anxiety/ OCD. Like my mom always says " if you don't laugh, you'll cry" lol. Sometimes, my anxiety can come up w the silliest, most dramatic scenarios and I really can't help but crack a smile. And that helps. A good laugh really can help in big ways. :) take care
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:47 AM »
Thanks anxiousmind77
Humor is so effective. During a very dark, depressive period I was standing at the sink, washing a pot with a dark cloud over me when my wife made a joke. It caught me off guard and I started cracking up. She said, "you laughed!" It was the first time in weeks I'd laughed and I knew, "Hey, I'm coming out of the depression!" And it began to improve daily. Within a few weeks I would wake up in a normal mood, having forgotten all about it.

Here's one of my favorite cartoons from the 90s. Skip ahead to 14minutes and 8 or 9 seconds (if the link doesn't do it for you) for a little OCD/Anxiety humor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKDmrY4GRb4&t=14m9s
Bookmark and Share

Tags: OCD humor coping strategy