Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Had my EMG two months after twitching.  (Read 486 times)

Offline GoodTimesahead

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Had my EMG two months after twitching.
« on: May 04, 2014, 09:08:07 AM »
Posted a few weeks ago on what I'm dealing with. I re-aggravated a pinched nerve in my neck on Jan 30, and lost some strength in my right bicep and forearm. At the same time, started twitching body wide but mostly in the right arm. Since then my strength has come back, not completely but much better but the twitching is still going strong. So even though the loss of strength is attributable to the neck it still scares me. Neuro doc after examining me didn't think I needed an EMG, but agreed to the test to put my mind at ease. However, as I was leaving his office he said I was "too young" to have you-know-what. That bothered me because I know it may be rare but I'm not "too young" (37). Anyway, the EMG came back normal except for the pinched nerve at C6. Now I'm worried I got the EMG too early. Anybody with experience think that's too early? Thx for any replies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Had my EMG two months after twitching.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 11:28:44 AM »
I think a clean emg is a really really good  thing.  From what I have read about emg's - they can pick up problems long before symptoms are present.

I am dealing with a similar situation in which I have had twitching for 3-4 months, had a clean clinical neuro exam, he told me I didn't need emg, but I am really questioning that now and it's really bothering my anxiety
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 11:44:31 AM »
I think I read your story over at bfs.  EMGs often pick up abnormalities months BEFORE symptoms.  Once you have symptoms it's unusually rare for an EMG to be normal.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
Listen to your doctor. You wasted money on an emg they didn't think you needed and guess what? You didn't it was clean. Why say you got it for piece of mind when it's not doing that at all? Look, twitching is a secondary symptom after weakness. I also have twitching in my feet (barely noticeable) my calf muscles and also my knees. My neuro gave me a basic exam and so did two other doctors after three weeks of twitching. Basically, if you had twitching because of the big one, it would never, ever, be too late for an emg. Once symptoms appear the emg and neuro exam would pick anything up guaranteed. Also, strength loss is the key with this and you're actually gaining strength...it's hard to accept twitching, trust me mine are so bad. Fingers move, toes, calfs, etc...I'd be so happy after a clean emg but my neuro didn't think I needed it. Treat your anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 02:11:55 PM »
I can sympathize with the original post.  I have had twitching for months and some muscle soreness in one arm, tongue dryness, felt very fatigued, etc.  Went to NP and GP - they ran tests and told me all was clear and that I was dealing with bfs + anxiety.  Scheduled appt with neuro - he did clinical exam and told me the same thing - bfs + anxiety.  I want to go back and demand emg cause symptoms aren't fading.  And weakness is tough to analyze objectively.  For example, I have some muscle stiffness and soreness, but still have full range of motion.  Is this weakness?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 02:30:55 PM »
I started getting weakness in my thumb and hand which doctor said was carpal tunnel, and now i have weakness all over, as in if i do something i get tired really quickly, but i have strength to hold my son, now i have started getting twitching all over, constantly, am terrified its ms or als or something. Doctor said i have an underactive thyroid. Is this the problem, because im getting twitches in my stomach and stuff and a bad back. He said i dont have ms.. Could it be another nerve or muscle disease. Terrified
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
All of you have anxiety, as do I.Go outside and enjoy the day.... Twitching isn't a symptom of it. Weakness is.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 02:39:03 PM »
Weakness as in you dont have strength to pick up your baby. Or weakness as in you can pick up your baby but you get tired quickly
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 03:26:50 PM »
Weakness as in you dont have strength to pick up your baby. Or weakness as in you can pick up your baby but you get tired quickly

Weakness as in you can't even think of picking up your baby.  Shoot, you can't button a shirt.  Muscle fatiguability is very common with BFS.  I could barely shampoo my own hair at my worst.  Chewing food became a choir.  I thought I was weak everywhere.  My legs were like jelly...my reflexes brisk....twitching just about everywhere.  As long as the anxiety isn't in check this will get worse.  When is your EMG?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 03:34:29 PM »
Im not having an emg. Had bloods and showed undetactive thyroid. Doc said thats why im weak and tired. But I just dont know what the twitching is. What is bfs... do I want to know or is it going to panic me..
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »
Look up benign fasciculation syndrome.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: