Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anyone read any good books lately?  (Read 534 times)

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Rec's: 1
  • They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
Anyone read any good books lately?
« on: May 04, 2014, 02:48:28 AM »
I purchased the first Game of Thrones novel about two months ago and it's sitting on my night stand. I've been meaning to read it but my anxiety has been making it hard to get started on it. So, I figured if we start a conversation on reading and good books, it'll help get me motivated to start!
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 169
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anyone read any good books lately?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »
Child 44 is a great book. One you get into it. It is a trilogy. The Secret Letter is the second book and Agent 6 is the final book. Tom Rob Smith is the writer. Can be deep reading at times. But an excellent book. First book is the best of the three.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 09:28:10 AM »
Want to correct myself on the title of the second book in that trilogy. It is The Secret Speech. Not Letter. Always have got it mixed up.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 05:57:28 PM »
Those titles are intriguing, and I do love trilogies. The last trilogy I read was the Hunger Games - it was pretty good!

What are those books about?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 05:01:53 AM »
Historical fact mixed with fiction. Based in Russia during the cold war years. Makes you glad you didn't live in Russia during that era. Amazing twist to the first book. It is been made into a film soon. I did read the hunger games too. Child 44 is a lot deeper. Take you a bit longer to read.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 08:22:45 AM »
I just can't get into new creations having been a classics junkie except for one author whom others consider too boring.

So I just reread Great Expectations and while parts almost annoyed me, Dickens' genius is on almost every page. Made me laugh, fall in love with Pip, lose all belief in "romance," thrill to friendship, and wonder how many plot twists Dickens needed to keep himself entertained.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 08:18:22 PM »
Dickens is an amazing writer. The Christmas Carol will always be one of my favorite stories.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 01:29:40 AM »
My husband and I watched the first season of Game of Thrones this year, which really made me want to read the book, which my mom recommended anyway. I'm halfway through book 1, and really enjoying it even though I already know what happens!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
You make an important point re the visual vs. the written. These days it's all about the visual. How does that compare to writing? What does that do to us?

I'll dare to say it is like eating junk food vs. nourishing food for the brain. Went and got a DVD of Great Expectations. Nice to watch, to be sure, but no food for thought, for the imagination, for delight in words, for creativity in the mind, for any emotional reaction. Interesting to think about the comparison. Suppose it depends on the person.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 10:06:37 AM »
It's interesting you say that  because visual over written is a rarity for me  ;D I was always a complete bookworm growing up, and I still love books as well as music. My evenings are spent more frequently with a book or music (though I surf the web a fair bit) But...my book time is my "me" time, vs. when I watch Game Of Thrones, it's a  good excuse to cuddle up close to  my husband.  In general I get what you're saying though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 10:58:54 AM »
With my messed up early years books really appeared only later in life with Anita Brookner who is too too boring for most people. Waited for her yearly novel and still have all of them. Music was big, most any kind really though the big 3 predominate.

Husband also seems to prefer the visual while I pester, "Why don't we read this out loud?" He can also listen to audio books which I could never do. Must have that paper and print in my hands and in front of the eyes. It is painful to think that books might lose favor.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pto

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 06:56:29 PM »
Best ive read lately is Dead Six and Swords of Exodus, by Larry Correia and Mike Kupari.

Its co written in first person, each author doing a different character, so the characters feel very different. Too many books you can tell its the same author solved the problem. Lots of action, fun pace, interesting world geoplitics and relatonships between groups. Its a world traveling thriller series.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Ringil

• Lost Cat
  • Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Ringil & The 3 Mouseketeers
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm comprising this list of books that I read and liked so much that I then bought the audio versions and listened to them with my friend. So, I must have liked them a lot!

But first....The Hunger Games was excellent! Based on that I will suggest 3 other YA (but mature YA) books trilogies or series, that are of that same quality.
Uglies, Pretties and Specials by Scott Westerfeld.
The Traction Cities Sequence - Fever Crumb, A Web Of Air, Scrivener's Moon, Mortal Engines, Predators Gold, Infernal Devices and A Darkling Plain.
Everlost, Everwild, Everfound by Neal Shusterman

OK, now the read & listened books:
Perdido Street Station - China Mieville
The Child Thief - Bron
Lexicon and Jennifer Government - Max Barry
The First Law Series (VERY adult), The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged, Last Argument Of Kings - Joe Abercrombie
The Bel Dame Apocrypha (VERY adult), God's War, Infidel, Rapture - Kameron Hurley
The Lies Of Locke Lamora - Scott Lynch
The Spatterjay sub-series of The Polity - The Skinner. Voyage Of The Sable Keech, Orbus - Neral Asher. I like all of his books, another 8 or 9 in The Polity Universe but thse are the 3 most treasured

OK, I'll stop for now and give you a chance to check some out and see if I am on the same track as others here. If so, I have other suggestions......

I don't own a TV so I read quite a lot.

Bookmark and Share
Anything I post is an opinion© and not necessarily a fact™. I've often benefitted from anecdotal guidance. Your mileage may vary.

Offline BailieM

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 07:49:37 PM »
If you have read the Hunger Games you should 100% read the Divergent series!!!! I think there's 3 books in total, I'm not sure. I'm over half way through the first one & I love it so much, there's so much action and drama, but it's also relatable to the Hunger Games. Definitely try it!
Bookmark and Share

Offline shaggy

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
i bought battle royale a couple months back and really enjoyed it. i also checked out warm bodies from my library and i liked it soo much that im going to buy when i can  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: books reading read