Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: It's not diabetes, right?  (Read 225 times)

Offline bluemidnight

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
It's not diabetes, right?
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
You can like... be especially thirsty for a day or two and also have to pee a lot without it meaning you have diabetes, right?
Yesterday and today I have had such a dry feeling in my mouth that I have been drinking a lot of water, and also, peeing a lot. I had two cups of coffee so far - is that enough to make this happen?
Basically - I'm sure I'm not diabetic... can someone hold my hand and tell me I'm just a little nuts and anxious? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: It's not diabetes, right?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:28:43 PM »
Excessive thirst is a sign of high blood sugar.  When mines was uncontrolled I had a thirst like walking thru a desert. Its simple to test for diabetes, and its nothing to be worried about. Even if you had it its a controllable disease.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:41:57 PM »
Quit worrying!  I've had a dry mouth for the last couple of weeks - it's really annoying but it doesn't mean anything. 

A friend of mine has severe type 1 diabetes and when she was diagnosed, she said the thirst was absolutely horrible.  Not just a dry mouth.
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluemidnight

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »
... it's actually one of my greatest fears. Basically because I always have eating disordered behaviors, and if I couldn't fast to calm myself down every so often, I would freak out.
To clarify - by excessive, I meant around 3 full glasses of water, and urinating 4-5 times in a 8 hour period. ... which doesn't actually sound too excessive, does it? ... or does it. My mind is just stuck in a panicky feedback loop. Sorry :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline bluemidnight

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 10:45:59 PM »
Oh my gosh, thank you, Mollyfin... I was literally shaking with panic over this (yes, BlueMidnight, that's super logical, right? :S). I really appreciate your reply <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 01:39:55 AM »
That sounds more or less normal to me, maybe slightly above average, but if you had thirst from diabetes you would be miserable and know something was really wrong.   My friend was only nine when she was diagnosed and she knew something was seriously wrong.
Bookmark and Share

Online Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 05:27:39 AM »
You could be having some anxiety making your mouth dry, you could be eating something salty, etc.
Coffee is a diuretic and will MAKE you thirsty and dry you out (if it's caffeinated).  Don't drink coffee to hydrate, one cup of coffee is actually a NEGATIVE glass of water.
My husband KNEW something was wrong when he found out he got diabetes!  He would drink and drink and drink ALL day long with no satisfaction! 
Bookmark and Share

Offline threnners

• Leaping to the worst conclusion in a single bound!
  • Anxiety Girl
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 06:06:46 PM »
My anxiety makes my bladder go nuts.   Once I come down off the mountain, things go back to normal.  Also I get dry mouth as well.   It's just your nerves.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: