Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do you ever imagine anxiety to be an abuser  (Read 232 times)

Offline nomoretears

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do you ever imagine anxiety to be an abuser
« on: May 03, 2014, 07:25:38 PM »
Some days, I live in fear of more attacks, the way a child fears an abusive parent coming to their room at night.

I can't smile, I can't feel good, A scenario I invision in my head, I'm cowering under a whipping belt saying to the anxiety "please don't hurt me, nooo! "

That's kind of how it feels sometimes, like it's an abuser I don't know how to escape.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do you ever imagine anxiety to be an abuser
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:21 PM »
Those are known as "anticipatory attacks." What you view as being afraid of future attacks is in itself an attack. So your anxiety is triggering anxiety. So you're basically having a full on panic disorder now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:07:55 PM »
That is a very good description.  I think it is because of how powerless anxiety makes a person feel....being unable to control it, as it does to us....how vulnerable it can make a person feel, kind of like a victim of abuse.  Yes, I would say I have felt that way about it at times.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
I know.  :(

It seems to come and go.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 11:39:42 PM »
That's an interesting question of anxiety as abuser.  Having taken some ACT -- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy -- I prefer to look on anxiousness a little different.  Not so much as an abuser as a mischievous friend.  Someone who likes to trick me out of my peace of mind, my happiness.  I find if I see worry as the enemy, then I am likely to be afraid of it.  And I might give up some power.

So I try to make friends with anxiety, to make peace with it.  I want to manage my stress.  I don't want my stress to manage me...if you know what i mean.

My view may be a bit different since I don't have panic attacks.  I have GAD.  But still there may be value is seeing anxiety is a more positive light.  Life with no anxiety is not normal either.  It's a matter of management for me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nomoretears

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 09:36:12 PM »
I know it sounds dramatic, but it feels that way sometimes. I know anxiety isn't meant to be an enemy, and I know it's function, but it's so unsettling when it happens.

Could be said I have "GAD" too but I hesitate to use that expression since it conveys being worried over "nothing" because, that isn't possible, there is always a valid cause to the worry. And I know I'm not like this when I'm in a better frame of mind about life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
Panic attacks are awful. Very very difficult to reason when the brain believes it is under threat.  We get false alarms and fear those feelings coming back at any time.  This instinct is so severe in order to keep people alive when life is being threatened. Can scare anybody.  I understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paws

• The Fabulous
  • Kitties!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »
That's an interesting question of anxiety as abuser.  Having taken some ACT -- Acceptance and Commitment Therapy -- I prefer to look on anxiousness a little different.  Not so much as an abuser as a mischievous friend.  Someone who likes to trick me out of my peace of mind, my happiness.  I find if I see worry as the enemy, then I am likely to be afraid of it.  And I might give up some power.

So I try to make friends with anxiety, to make peace with it.  I want to manage my stress.  I don't want my stress to manage me...if you know what i mean.

My view may be a bit different since I don't have panic attacks.  I have GAD.  But still there may be value is seeing anxiety is a more positive light.  Life with no anxiety is not normal either.  It's a matter of management for me.

That is a very interesting perspective you have on the anxiety. Would you mind elaborating more? I have been trying to manage my increased anxiety since two years ago, when things got out of control. Though I didn't have a panic attack in ages, anxiety still gets the best of me at times. It is frustrating, because every time I plan or want to work on my hobbies ( creative writing/drawing), anxiety barges in and fills my mind with doubt. On some days I can just ignore and get on with things, but a lot of times it just makes me quit before I get started. It goes something like
I'm excited to embark on a new quest---> I'm thinking about said quest---> worries arise---> I consider them, and my excitement turns to apprehension---> I quit the thing.

Anxiety it's just too annoying at times. I know its purpose and am aware no person is ever without problems, but how can I lessen this feeling of dread? How can I minimize the effects of anxiety?
Bookmark and Share
Work hard, and slack harder.

Offline e77

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 05:06:45 PM »
Worldbeat 99's perspective on anxiety got me to think about the movie and book  "Life of Pi." The ferocious tiger in the story reminds me of anxiety. Our anxious energy can be ferocious and frightening but it's also valuable in that it can keep us alive when in danger. It has a good side to it. Peace
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
e77 -- The tiger is Life of Pi is a good example.  The young man has some fear of the animal, but also some strange comradery.

Paws -- I can relate to your example of wanting to do a creative project, and then anxiety fills you with doubt, and then you quit the thing.
I write novels myself.  But as I sometimes deal with GAD, I'm getting better at ignoring the doubting voice.  Instead, I try to get attuned to the
voice of the new book, the characters.  I sketch things down, again the voice of the novel is what pulls me forward.  And as the draft gets longer,
my confidence grows.  I'm thinking to trying writing some short stories as trial balloons for novels.

I think every person dealing with anxiousness needs to have a magic tool kit, filled with tools to manage their stress.  For me it's physical exercise,
buddhist chanting, focusing of my mission/calling in life, helping other people, some yoga, affirmations, deep breathing, mindfulness, ACT therapy, participating in in Meetup support groups, participating in online discussion boards like this and chat rooms, opening talking with friends, etc.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: