Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Waiting on Dermatologist Results...Irregular Mole?  (Read 387 times)

Offline makeitcount

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Waiting on Dermatologist Results...Irregular Mole?
« on: May 03, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
I am going CRAZY! I posted a couple weeks ago about my melanoma anxiety. I ended up going in to the doctor, and while he wasn't concerned about the mole/freckle I went in for, he took it off to biopsy anyway just for my peace of mind. He was about to let me leave, but he checked me over one more time and looked at my moles and freckles with his light and magnifying tool. All was well, until he stopped on one behind my left knee. I had noticed it before, but it was INCREDIBLY small, so I figured it was basically just a freckle.

This time, he goes "Oh! Well...that is a weird mole. I need to remove this one today also." He said it was a bit irregular even for being so small, and the color and shape worried him enough to do a biopsy. Having already been scared to death of melanoma, I am LOSING IT while waiting on the phone call. Not to mention, upon leaving the doctor's office, I just happened to read on ***** about my friend's mother who recently had a stroke. They found out it was caused by a spot of melanoma in her brain, which came from a malignant melanoma she had had removed years ago...behind her left knee!

This is awful for someone with such terrible health anxiety! Not to mention, I am going through a lot of other stress because I have finals and graduation from college next week, and my grandfather was recently given 6 months to live.

ANY encouragement or similar stories that turned out all right would be amazing to hear. I really do not want to hear that I have skin cancer...and the waiting is maddening! Thanks everyone.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Turkeylips

• Rec's: 3
  • Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy on me, a sinner.
    • Poke This Member
Re: Waiting on Dermatologist Results...Irregular Mole?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 07:44:19 PM »
That is one of my big fears, too. I had an atypical mole removed on my toe a few years ago. I couldn't get into a dermatologists office for three months so I went to a plastic surgeon.  He took it off and the pathology came back moderately atypical. He said oh, good thing we took that off. It had already started to change. We should look over the rest of you.

I almost had a panic attack right then and there. They hadn't called me in two weeks so I assumed it was fine. I just happened to have my derm appt that very afternoon and I took the path report to show them. The derm looked over the report and just shrugged and said no big deal. It wasn't cancer and it's gone now anyway. I was frantic.

She kept stressing to me that I did not have cancer. Then she gave me a pamphlet about atypical moles that made me feel so much better. They are not cancer and there is no guarantee that they will turn into cancer. Some do and most don't.

Your mole may be that, too. I know it's hard to wait without freaking out but just keep busy. Remember, no news is good news.
Bookmark and Share
Romans 12:12  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.

Offline makeitcount

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 08:35:27 PM »
Thank you SO MUCH! It's comforting to know that things that are "weird" and "atypical" do not always turn out to be worst case scenario! Haha. I wouldn't be at all surprised if mine came back similar to yours. My other grandfather had a melanoma on his face like 35 years ago, though. He's in fine health now, but it's still so nerve wracking knowing the risk is in my family.

The waiting game is just terrible...I want to know what I'm dealing with (if anything) so that I can handle it. It's the sitting and waiting that makes my anxiety kick into overdrive! I stressed to the doctor how anxious I have been about skin cancer, and he was actually impressed with how much I knew...so maybe he will make sure I get my results relatively quickly. Too many days of this and I'll give myself all kinds of other problems! Haha.

For real though, thank you! Positive stories are about the only thing that calm me down!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:40:18 PM »
I had a mole that made my dermatologist go "yeah, that should come off just in case."  Turned out to just be a mole.  Weird colors, blurry edges, etc.  Since there's no risk in removing moles for biopsy, I figure they have no reason to NOT do one if they think something looks even mildly weird. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline makeitcount

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 03:06:20 PM »
Just to let you all know, I just got the call and both moles were COMPLETELY BENIGN!  :happy0151: ;D :yes:

I was reading people's stories about their melanoma diagnoses online when I got the call, and I swear I could barely answer my phone! But, praise God, all is well for me.

Now, my mom is scheduled for a derm check up tomorrow....and I'm sure I'll have some biopsies to worry about with her also. Plus, my husband has tons of moles and hasn't been checked by a derm ever in his life. Jeez. I hate HA! Gotta get him an appointment and get my mom through hers...haha.

Thanks for all of your help, guys!
Bookmark and Share

Offline packers1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 03:43:19 PM »
This is my great fear right now.  I go to the dermo in two days for my yearly checkup and it has me going crazy.  I'm afraid something will have come up in the last year that they will see.  I'm glad you got the good news though!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jess0617

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »
I went to the doctor a few months ago for really bad migraines and while I was there showed her a mole I noticed that I thought looked strange. It was smaller than a pencil eraser, was dark black, and had red around it. She shined a light at it and after looking at it for about two seconds said "oh woah..I do not like this mole at all. You NEED to have that removed I am referring you to the dermatologist today!" I went into a paralyzed state of mind, called my mom, dad, and boyfriend bawling and then to the dermatologist. She looked at it and said it is atypical but didn't think it was much to worry about. Dermatologist often remove atypical moles so they don't have the potential to turn into something sinister down the road. Mine ended up being completely benign as I'm sure yours will be.
Bookmark and Share

Offline makeitcount

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 06:08:39 PM »
Packers, have you been doing regular self-checks? I get so nervous before any and every doctor's appointment, check-up or otherwise, so I feel your pain! But, if you've been doing as you should and getting yearly doctor's exams as well as doing pretty regular self-checks, it's highly unlikely that the derm is going to surprise you with anything!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: