Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Hubby lost 10 lbs..worried  (Read 270 times)

Offline Mom21

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Hubby lost 10 lbs..worried
« on: May 03, 2014, 01:43:56 PM »
My husband went to the doctor for a routine 6 month checkup to monitor his blood pressure and also did bloodwork since his meds can affect something with liver.

Bp was good, however, he's lost 10 pounds since his last appt. He doesn't exercise at all, doesn't watch what he eats, is not trying to lose weight, and feels fine. I'm worried why he lost 10 lbs. I know that's not a good thing. Would he have issues if something were really wrong with him? He was happy but I'm worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
Re: Hubby lost 10 lbs..worried
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 01:59:31 PM »
6 months is a long time to lose 10 pounds over. I wouldn't be concerned.

Generally, weight loss is only worrisome if it occurs over a short period of time, relatively drastically with no known cause.
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 02:17:56 PM »
Could be the warmer weather?  My husband always gets a little tubby (for him) in the winter months and then sheds it in the spring and summer without really changing any habits.  Wish I could do that as easily.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 02:41:27 PM »
Stephtronic..That's part of my worry. Last time it was checked was 6 months ago. But he could have lost it within a month or few weeks. Its hard to say since he doesn't monitor his weight. The other worry is that there is no cause for it to happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
It depends on how much he weighs.  10 pounds is not usually considered significant unless your hubby is a waif.  Everyone is more active as the weather gets warmer.  Peoples appetites get smaller as the weather gets warmer.  Stress could have caused him a small decrease in appetite over time.  He could have been wearing different clothing, heavy boots, carrying more water weight (yes men do this too)...so many explanations.  I would watch it...monitor it.  I wouldn't consider it significant unless he had other symptoms such as night sweats or the weight loss continues to be progressive without explanation.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 15
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 06:21:52 PM »
Unless your husband started at 100 pounds, that 10 pounds is insignificant.  They say that losing 10% of your body weight is what is a bit concerning.   And even THAT may mean nothing.  My husband had weighed 184, then 2 weeks later weighed 180!  (then a month later was back to 184) things like that happen.
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:04:29 AM »
Was his doctor worried?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Mom21

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 11:12:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses. He is definitely not skinny or a waif. In fact, the dr tells him at every appt that he needs to lose some weight and start exercising and eating right. She wasn't worried about it. Hubby said she was happy he lost some. I will suggest to him that he monitor it in a month or so. We've been going through a remodel the past few months so maybe that has played a part in it.  Of course he thinks I'm being ridiculous.

Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 11:42:13 AM »
Thanks everyone for your responses. He is definitely not skinny or a waif. In fact, the dr tells him at every appt that he needs to lose some weight and start exercising and eating right. She wasn't worried about it. Hubby said she was happy he lost some. I will suggest to him that he monitor it in a month or so. We've been going through a remodel the past few months so maybe that has played a part in it.  Of course he thinks I'm being ridiculous.

I hope I don't offend but you are...especially if he was more active in a remodel.  What if on last visit he was holding a little water, ate a meal, and wore more clothing...that right there could account for 8 pounds easy.  For a bigger guy, I wouldn't blink at 10 pounds.  His doc wasn't worried...let her do the worrying for ya.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 6
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:14:48 AM »
Weight is just a snap in time and can vary by several - easily 5 pounds + or - depending on when you get weighed and what you had to eat that day, bowel movements, etc.

Bookmark and Share

Tags: