Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced profound fatigue on prozac?  (Read 228 times)

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Has anyone experienced profound fatigue on prozac?
« on: May 03, 2014, 11:20:29 AM »
I know everyone's experiences are different. However, curious if anyone has had intense fatigue while taking prozac? I'm prone to being very fatigued, was intensely overwhelmed by this in the four years that I was pregnant or nursing my children. Since stopping I'm still tired, but the fatigue does not consume me...

That is, until the last two weeks. I have had trouble just getting through the day at work, nevermind cooking dinner for my family when I get home. I'm not necessarily saying it's the prozac that's to blame....four days after I made the switch from lexapro to prozac, I was given my 60 day notice at work due to budget cuts. I am the chief wage earner in my house, so it's imperative that I find another job. Plus we're already short-staffed at work. So I spend all day in a highly stressful environment, and after the kids go to bed in the evening i'm job hunting. I'm 90% sure this is where the fatigue is coming from.I've been trying to sleep more to compensate, I just haven't caught up yet. Just with the impending layoff and med switch being almost simultaneous it throws a wrench into trying to sort things out.

Thoughts? Opinions?
The good news: I think in the long run leaving my present work environment is going to be a very positive change. So kind of have to just try to ride out the storm in the meantime. Anxiety levels and self harm thoughts do seem diminished this week so it does seem the prozac is providing some benefit.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

• Rec's: 103
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Has anyone experienced profound fatigue on prozac?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »
However, curious if anyone has had intense fatigue while taking prozac?

Sorry about you losing your job, even if it ends up being beneficial for your mental health in the long run. What is the jobs situation like in your field?

Prozac is typically the second most stimulation antidepressant, however, a few do find it sedating. But I think your tiredness has more to do with the stress you're now under, possibly with some depression which the med is not yet able to control. Losing your job is one of the big stressors of life, up there with bereavement and divorce, that often subsequently trigger an anxiety disorder and/or depression.

I don't think there is a lot you can do at the moment beyond waiting for Prozac to become more effective beyond increasing the dose a little to try and speed things up. However, this doesn't always work and it may increase the side-effects. You could also try supplementing it with 4-6 fish oil capsules. Omega-3 fatty acids also boost hippocampal neurogenesis and there is some evidence that they may speed up antidepressant kick-in, though there are about as many studies showing they don't. If you try it start with only one capsule a day and increase it by one every 3-4 days to avoid diarrhea.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:57:55 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts Ian. I am in the medical field, I'm seven years into my career as a physician assistant. My biggest challenge is saying goodbye to my patients, I work in family practice so you really develop an attachment to these people over time.  But I'm looking forward, I had an interview that went very well at another family practice yesterday, and have a promising prospect next week with a hospitalist internal medicine group. May be interesting to switch gears for awhile.  It looks like we won't have to relocate which is an important thing for me.

My psychiatrist bumped me from 20 mg to 40 mg last week, and in the last two or three days, I'm starting to think maybe this might work out for me. In spite of being darn near a nervous wreck today and yesterday just plain due to the stress, I actually felt calm in the midst of it. I don't know if that makes sense....but I said to myself "Just about anyone would be having some of these symptoms in this situation, not just people with anxiety. I'm pretty much in agreement with you that the fatigue is probably not med related, but we'll see. My end-date at work is June 13th, and I told my husband and my psychiatrist that no matter what I am committed to taking 3-4 weeks off before I start with whatever new job I end up with. I think it's critical to my mental health and they were both in agreement.....might make finances a bit tight for a few weeks but it's worth it. I'm rather looking forward to seeing how Prozac does for me when I'm out of that work environment and can catch up on some rest.

I had actually started back on fish oils rather sporadically and am doing so more regularly. Thanks for the suggestion :)
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:29:41 AM »
I told my husband and my psychiatrist that no matter what I am committed to taking 3-4 weeks off before I start with whatever new job I end up with. I think it's critical to my mental health and they were both in agreement.

I also think this is a good idea. It will hopefully give you a chance to see how well Prozac is, or isn't working without all the other things going on clouding the picture.

I had actually started back on fish oils rather sporadically and am doing so more regularly. Thanks for the suggestion :)

I can't guarantee it will help, as I said there are about as many studies showing Omega-3 fatty acids don't speed up how quickly antidepressants kick-in as there are showing they do, but even if they don't they will still have benefits for both your brain and the body generally.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline AncientMelody

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 03:50:46 PM »
Hey Ian, one more question :).  Should have asked my psychiatrist last week but I forgot to.  As I said in the last note, I really have felt like the prozac has been starting to work on my anxiety. I'm not getting the morning adrenaline-surge anxiety as often which has cut down my propranolol usage, so that's a good thing. And my cognitive behavioral therapy has been more affective.

HOWEVER......I'm barely keeping my head above water with the work and job-hunt stress. I had a month-wait to hear back from a much wanted job to ultimately get rejected. I interviewed with a company who told me they were "recruiting" but didn't actually have an open position. (big waste of time). I've had a much desired job interview for internal medicine at the hospital get postponed twice and don't have the new interview date set yet (personal emergency for the doctor who owns the practice) I had vertigo last friday at work which made getting through the work day very difficult.

So, I don't know if this makes any sense: It seems like I start to make progress, but life stressor after life stressor keeps hitting me. My thought....worry. They say that you get the full benefit of a med by about 12 weeks. Will this decrease the maximum potential I "could have" gained from the prozac??? Yeah I'm kind of paranoid about that. Fortunately there's room to go up in dosage, but yeah that's where i'm at now.
Bookmark and Share

Online insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »
It seems like I start to make progress, but life stressor after life stressor keeps hitting me. My thought....worry. They say that you get the full benefit of a med by about 12 weeks. Will this decrease the maximum potential I "could have" gained from the prozac???

Not exactly. The greater the stress the more damage stress hormones do to the brain which then may require a higher antidepressant dose to reverse. But you should still get the same amount of response from the med as you would have done without the extra stress, it just may now not be enough.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Tags: