Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: What is the relationship between Anxiety & Ambition?  (Read 174 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
What is the relationship between Anxiety & Ambition?
« on: May 03, 2014, 01:50:59 AM »

This is something I've been thinking about.  I deal with GAD, a milder case, but still troubling.  I am a writer.
I've noticed that once I can reconnect with my ambition, my goals and dreams -- it helps me shift focus away
from anxiety.  Has anyone else noticed this?

For instance, even since I got cut from a novel contest on Amazon recently, I've been meaning to look up some cool publishers
that accept unagented writers.  I found a terrific new publisher and started composing a cover letter, synopsis, 50 pages of my book, etc.
And as I've worked on this through Friday, I haven't felt anxious or purposeless like I sometimes do.

I'm a single gay man and would like a boyfriend, but I can't directly control that.  I've been on all the online dating sites.
But there are things I can control.  Like doing more physical exercise to reduce anxiousness, etc.

Do you guys think that connecting to one's ambitions in life is partly a key to transcending anxiety?  If so, I'd like to hear
your experiences of this helping you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: What is the relationship between Anxiety & Ambition?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2014, 06:12:12 AM »
Sounds more like a good form of distraction. It is taken your mind off of your problems. You are no longer thinking inwardly. Thinking of yourself. You are focused on your book. Once we find things to focus on we can get a break from our anxiety. But we are all a talented bunch of people. Lot of members love to write. Some books, some music. Lot of designers too. If they focus on that they will get a break from their anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »

Hi Cuch, yes it occurred to me that ambition could be a good form of distraction.  And that's a great realization for all of us.
I've also learned thru ACT (Acceptance and Commitment Therapy) -- that in addition to being a good distraction from anxiety, it's
part of one's set of values.  In one session, my therapist had me identify the top ten things I value in life, the
things that give my life the most meaning.  These included:  good friendships, peace of mind, success as a writer, a happy
romantic relationship, a strong buddhist practice, etc.

Once I identified these things, I could see how little time I was giving them.  Most of my time had gone to resolving the
anxiety puzzle.  But not I make efforts to make the pie chart of my time more balanced.  And I'm always aiming
to give more time to the things I value most.  This is helpful to me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 01:51:00 PM »
I see exactly what you therapist was doing. I always tell people to make lists. Could be things to would like to try but never have done in their life. In other words, something else to focus on. If we sit still all day we tend to focus inwardly. Which is never a good thing. So if we can project that energy into something constructive it would make us feel much better about ourselves. We might have something to look at and be able to say ' I done that '. Such as you and your book. Once people see they can do things and they get on a roll they just want to keep on going. The trick is that first step. Finding out they have a talent and they can do something they might never thought they could have ever done before. From there they begin to explore. Find more things. Kind of like putting a bit of structure into life. Before all of this they had no structure at all. They went from one second to the next wondering about their anxiety. That was their whole life. To find something outside of that is always great.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 04:19:23 PM »
My thoughts immediately went to ACT when you talked about pursuing your work :) my psychiatrist and I have been working on that as well. I like the ideas behind it.

Distraction for me has been sometimes effective at work. Mainly when I can focus on patient care rather than other menial tasks. Trouble distracting myself with my hobbies. Even fun pursuits feel like an obligation to me now, which is skewed thinking I need to work on
Bookmark and Share

Offline worldbeat99

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:40:23 PM »
Hi AM, nice to know someone else has been helped and inspired by ACT!  It's pretty cool and effective for me.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: