Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: worried about vertebral artery dissection  (Read 269 times)

Offline ryates80

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
worried about vertebral artery dissection
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:10:11 PM »
This started earlier this week. I had a place on the left base of skull and neck that was tender. It didn't cause a headache or impede motion. It felt like a bad bruise. It went away after a couple days. I've had it once before after we bought new pillows but I don't know what caused it this time.

I've been having tension headaches a lot as my HA is bad. I was on Google today looking for something else and came across vertebral artery dissection. Ever since then I'm terrified to turn my head or lift anything, my head feels funny and I felt dizzy a couple times. I also had a localized headache that was tender on my scalp for about an hour now I just have an all over headache.

I'm really concerned I haveVAD. I haven't told my husband cause I don't want him to be upset that I want to go to the er for the hundredth time.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: worried about vertebral artery dissection
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »
Anyone??
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2014, 07:35:19 AM »
The symptoms for vertebral artery dissection don't seem to include bruising, tender spots, all over headaches or tension headaches so I'm guessing you're probably OK.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:20:31 AM »
The tenderness in the back of my skull and a little in the neck is back! Omg I don't want to die/stroke. I hate this HA so much! I can't tell what's what anymore..
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 09:30:07 AM »
Have you stroked out?  If you have a vertebral artery dissection you won't be talking about a sore bruised neck area.  You will know something is seriously wrong.  Jumping to a zebra when likely this is a horse isn't wise. 
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 10:05:27 AM »
I had a tender spot in the same area you described a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure mine was from massaging the area, though, so I felt better about it knowing that was probably what it was from. It went away after a few days.

I've had headaches most of my life, so I'm not overly concerned when I get them (I had extensive allergy testing, MRI, CAT scan, you name it when I was in my early teens & they couldn't find anything wrong with me.). I'm now in my mid-30s & do worry about brain tumors at times. But I do think it's just part of the anxiety, as in the last several months I thought I had a heart problem (strained chest muscles from an injury -- all cardiac tests came back perfect), a blood clot in my leg (pinched sciatic nerve -- x-rays came back normal), and so many other things. I constantly think about having an MRI done to check my head, but if it came back normal, would I just move on to the next worry?

Anxiety is such a pain in the ass. It causes us to lose so much precious time. It makes me sick to think of how much time I've wasted worrying over the last several months. And yet there's still that annoying, 'but what if my body is trying to tell me something is wrong?' voice. Ugh. So here's what I keep trying to tell myself: If there's bad pain or a real worry about something, I need to have it checked out. If for nothing else but peace of mind. Otherwise, I have to IGNORE whatever it is & WAIT. If something lasts a week or more (depending on what it is), then I should get it checked out. And you know what? Usually within a few days or a week, whatever it is gone. Obviously, if you're concerned that it could be a life or death issue (like when I worried about my chest pains & having a numb leg), get it checked out. It's not worth the agony of worrying yourself over. I know if I hadn't gotten help either of those times I wouldn't have been able to sleep. And God forbid it was something serious. But all these little things that come up for me are usually explained pretty easily (like right now, my seasonal allergies are kicking in, which would account for my head discomfort at times), or they go away after a few days.

In your case, the dizziness could absolutely be from anxiety. I sometimes have dizziness with my anxiety. (My seasonal allergies were also causing my ears to clog up, which I believe could also cause dizziness.) And tension headaches could also be from anxiety. After decades of suffering from tension headaches, I realized mine are almost always related to muscle tightness in my neck or shoulders. And when you're worried about something, those are often areas that tense up.

For my sake, I'm not even going to Google vertebral artery dissection because then I'll probably think I have it.  :spineyes: So I can't give my opinion on that, but maybe try to tell yourself what I'm trying to tell myself. I feel for you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ryates80

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 10:25:09 AM »
Thank you for your post :) I think I'm probably overreacting but its hard not to. Was your spot in the base of your skull and neck?

I'm usually only worried about my heart. It doesn't often switch around but this time it did :(
Bookmark and Share

Online ShawnW

• Rec's: 22
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:03:16 PM »
Thank you for your post :) I think I'm probably overreacting but its hard not to. Was your spot in the base of your skull and neck?

I'm usually only worried about my heart. It doesn't often switch around but this time it did :(

I have had that same thing on and off since I was 17.  Muscles get tweaked, nerves get pinched.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 05:06:25 PM »

Yes, my sore spot was on the right side, back of my skull right by my neck. When I first noticed it, I freaked out for a second, then remembered using one of those neck massage contraptions the day before. The sore spot was right where it rubs. So obviously that spot is a tension area for people if a neck massager is designed to work on that area. But like I said, within a few days, the soreness was gone.

I know it's hard not to worry sometimes. Trust me, I know!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: