Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Not great news today and worried  (Read 589 times)

Offline hamsterswheel

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Not great news today and worried
« on: May 02, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
Had anyone ever had a calprotectin stool test?

I have been having bowel issues for a while.

Right sided stomach pain (it's mild, dull ache)
Diareah/loose stool most days
Mucus in some stools
Sometimes constipation

My gp said she thought ibs but decided to test for inflammation. In ibs this calprotectin level is not elevated. If it is it is a likely sign of ibd such as chrons or ulcerative colitis. Anyway mine has come back testing high. I'm 33 and scared as surely chrons can't go undiagnosed for over a year?????

She said I need to have a colonoscopy. So while chrons or ulcerative colitis isn't great, I read it can also be elevated in colon ca. Which is my biggest worry.

Please help me?
Bookmark and Share

Offline greend

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Not great news today and worried
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 06:07:14 PM »
I am sorry to hear this hamsterswheel, but don't jumpy to conclusions. That is what us hA people are notorious for. There can be many reasons for this elevation that does not include cancer.

Keep us posted and realize you are more than likely okay.
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:20:26 PM »
I've never heard of that test. It was in my early 30's I was in the GI's office b/c of 6 months of diarrhea (6+ trips to the bathroom per day) and cramping. At your age Colon C would be a long shot. Did they test you for Celiac?  I had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis in 2008. Repeat scope in 2010 showed normal colon, GI said I didn't have colitis and knock on wood I've been normal since. Anywho, just wanted to let you know that I had worse symptoms that you and it wasn't Colon C. If you have any questions just let me know. You'll be fine.  :yes:
Bookmark and Share

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 08:14:04 AM »
Hi - I never heard of this either.  how high is yours?  I just did a quick google and found this saying that it is elevated in IBS but not as much as in other diseases.

http://www.calprotectintest.com/english/calprotectin_in_stool.html
In IBS subjects, the calprotectin level is lower if compared to patients with the active IBD, sometimes higher than the cut-off value but always higher than healthy subjects.

Have you had a test for blood in your stool?
Bookmark and Share

Offline hamsterswheel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 12:43:44 PM »
What I don't understand is that from what I read people with ibd are constantly at the toilet.

I go once per day and it's loose. Infact at the moment I'm feeling constipated. This is freaking me out that it's cc.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:24 AM »
I have never heard of that test either.
I have some similar symptoms; pain and bubbling in right side of abdomen, mucous in every stool, usually an urgency to go but generally stool is of normal consistency.
My GP initially thought an IBD too, when she examined me, she couldn't believe the sounds and movement coming from my tummy. But I had a colonoscopy and s small intestine barium x-ray and all was completely fine. I'm still skeptical, but have to try to accept the results. By elimination, I'm being told it's probably IBS. Again, IBS is a hard diagnosis to accept, because it just feels like well we don't know what's wrong, so we'll just call it IBS. I read something recently about the bowels being the black hole of medical science. Doctors just don't know enough about it, and it's too hard to find out more. It freaked me out at first. But it also said that as the tum is the most sympathetic organ in the body, that any anxiety will most likely have tummy symptoms. I hope that helps.
Best of luck.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline hamsterswheel

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »
Thanks

I totally agree and have always thought my stomach issues were because of my anxiety. I think this test is mainly available in the uk. It's really upset me that it's come back high for inflammation in my bowel somewhere. I would happily put it down to ibs but it seems it's not. I have read about false positives when using ppi's plus I had had a bout of gastroenteritis prior to doing the test but that had been 4 weeks before.

I can't stop crying. I have been in my bed since yesterday and I feel paralysed with fear that it's going to be ca.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lililanny

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 04:18:15 PM »

I have read about false positives when using ppi's plus I had had a bout of gastroenteritis prior to doing the test but that had been 4 weeks before.

Ok, so you say you have read about false positives? There's one possibility. And having just got over a bout of a gastro bug? Surely that's another possibility?
By all means get the colonoscopy. I still feel that mine was worth it, because it helped in putting my mind at ease.
Bookmark and Share
Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got - Graffito

Offline Melissa100

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 08:24:33 PM »
I had all the same symptoms did endo and colonoscopy, it was clear!! diagnosed with IBS. Defiantly worth doing it.
Just don't worry everything will be fine. Digestive system is connected to anxiety so it will just make it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: