Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Panic attack: insanity  (Read 126 times)

Offline Stick

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Panic attack: insanity
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:08:01 AM »
I just woke up having a panic attack, this one had a particular symptom that I wanted to write about, and I am currently "recovering" before I go back to bed, so I thought I would make a post here.

Has anyone else experianced a sort of "temporary insanity" during a panic attack? I started having extremely strange dreams, I can't even fully understand or remember them right now, but I know they had some type of illogical and violent theme, and made no sense at all. I eventually half-woke up but still (willingly, I think) carried on the strange dream in my imagination. After a while I began to understand the dream less and less, until I experianced a weird moment where I felt as though I was "fighting" to stop the illogical dream/daydream by using logic. It felt as though there was another "part" of my mind trying to do the opposite. I became more confused than I ever have been before. It's as if my mind was split in two. I turned on the lights, and half of me didn't exacty know where I was, the other half (me) would mentally say something like "you moron, this is your room!", but it was still buried underneath confusion and feelings of doom.

I gradually got over it after a quick trip to the bathroom and back, and I couldn't even understand the weird dream/daydream that the other "part" of me thought was so important.

Has anyone else had any similar experiances? Could a panic attack "fight" your mind the way I have described, or cause any other psychological disturbance? Regardless of how bad panic attacks feel, I find them fascinating!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Panic attack: insanity
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 11:45:48 AM »
I've had similar things happen. From what I read... when you wake up suddenly during a dream you're still using the subconscious dreaming part of the brain.  The "fighting'' feeling your talking about is your normal conscious coming back online and taking over again.  This process can take several seconds.  I had sleep apnea so waking up during REM would happen to me alot.  Usually I didn't know who I was or where I was... after about 10-20 seconds I'd come to my senses.  I'm on Cpap now and it doesn't happen nearly as much. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: