Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Buspar vs. Klonopin  (Read 247 times)

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Buspar vs. Klonopin
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:52:15 PM »
I've been taking buspar for 7 weeks.  15 mg twice a day.  I take it for GAD.  It's either very subtle or it's not working.  I think I feel less anxious but
I'm not sure I feel the kick in of the drug.

I wonder if I should look into klonopin or stick with buspar and talk to my doc.  Thoughts?  Curious to hear from people with similar
experience or curiosity.  Thanks.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 91
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Buspar vs. Klonopin
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
I've been taking buspar for 7 weeks.  15 mg twice a day.  I take it for GAD.  It's either very subtle or it's not working.  I think I feel less anxious but I'm not sure I feel the kick in of the drug.

Buspar is a med that seems to work extremely well for a few, and not at all for most. Ideally, you should not have any anxiety so if Buspar isn't delivering then you probably need to look elsewhere.

I wonder if I should look into klonopin or stick with buspar and talk to my doc.

Klonopin is usually a very effective anti anxiety med, however, IMHO the benzodiazepines (BZDs) are not good primary, taken daily meds. The problem is that doctors are becoming increasingly wary of prescribing them because of the perceived dependency issue. This is much overblown, several of the antidepressants can be as difficult to discontinue, but it means that you can never be certain of getting a prescription for them in future. While your doctor may be happy to prescribe them, s/he could fall under the proverbial bus tomorrow and the replacement may not be as willing. Therefore, IMHO, antidepressants are the better long term bet,  with BZDs reserved for occasional breakthrough anxiety control, or to ease the initial increase in anxiety when first taking an antidepressant.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline worldbeat99

• Rec's: 11
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 12:15:23 AM »
Thanks, Ian.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 12:00:54 AM »
You could also go up on the dose of Buspar and see how that goes. Max dose for a day is 60 mg, so you could try 30 mg twice daily or even 20 mg three times daily.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: