Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of cancer and racing thoughts :(  (Read 358 times)

Offline ElizabethA103

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of cancer and racing thoughts :(
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:38:01 PM »
I'm a 14 year old girl, I am TERRIFIED of cancer obviously. I look at symptoms of ovarian, lung, colon, bone, leukemia cancer and I seem to have all of them! I got my blood checked at the hospital for abdominal pain a month ago and the doctor said my white/red blood cell count seems to be fine but it doesnt seem fine to me  I have bone/joint pain any time of day that goes on and off. I also have acid reflux and my stomach seems to bloat, it makes noises like splashing or rumbling. My stool has gas bubbles and mucus, one time I had bright red blood and I panicked!   I wanna vomit, I sleep a lot more, my veins are thin, and I feel weak when I walk! I know I seem selfish but Im so damn afraid there will be a day I do have it and I don't find out till last minute and its too late. I had 6 stomach x rays and 1 brain CT scan which I DREAD. I so wish I didnt get those now, they can affect me later in life. These thoughts are preventing me from going out. I CANT TAKE IT! I cry every night or morning when I think I have cancer. I complain but they (family) says they would have caught it a while back if I did have cancer w/ all the hospital visits. No family history of cancer thank God. I always doubt Im gonna make it to age 30. I have lost about 10 pounds but that might just be depression and I get red rashes here and there that make me think skin cancer or leukemia lol :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline SheWhoShallRemainNameless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of cancer and racing thoughts :(
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:04:49 PM »
Hey, come here. -hug- I was where you are when I was 14/15 too. We'll go through this one at a time, okay? Firstly, take a deep breath.
    Ovarian, lung, and colon cancer do not happen to people your age without a family history. Lung cancer usually happens to life long smokers, or people who work in industries with chemicals and stuff for years and years. Bone cancer and leukemia can, but very, very very rarely, and with very obvious symptoms. You would not be questioning whether something was wrong if you had one of those. You'd know.
I have had joint pain since I was very young, but it stopped once I stopped growing. It's entirely possible that's just growing pains or something like that.
     I also have had acid reflux my whole life. It's the anxiety. Trust me. So's the other bathroom stuff. It could be IBS which is annoying, but not deadly, and made worse by anxiety.
     Anxiety will cause weight loss, sleeping more, and weakness. It takes a lot of energy to be that scared all the time!
     I don't think you need to worry about the x-rays and CT scan. As long as you don't have them really frequently, way more than you have, I don't think they'll hurt you.
     You can trust your family. They would have caught it at the hospital and in blood tests, especially something like bone cancer or leukemia.
     Again, the weight loss is anxiety and depression. I lost a ton of weight when I was really bad because I was too scared to eat, and didn't notice I wasn't eating. So then I got scared about the weight loss, and the cycle continued.
     Skin cancer doesn't cause rashes, either.
     It's really important you breath and try to let the logical side of your brain hear me. It's really easy to let the anxiety part take hold, but you have to try. I didn't think I could, but I'm doing so much better than I was even a year ago. Last summer, I'd cry for hours thinking I had colon cancer. I don't. I see that now, but sometimes my anxiety still scares me. But I just take some deep breaths, relax, and think it through logically. It's hard, it'll take practice, but you can do it. It's really good you're aware of your anxiety and want to get better at this age. It gets harder to shake as you get older, like any old habit. I believe in you, though. You can do it. <3
Bookmark and Share

Offline ElizabethA103

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Thank you so much! :) I appreciate you taking your time to actually answer <3 but I always need reassurance. Anyhow, Hows your IBS going? and where did you get the bone and joint pain?
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Busy
    Busy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:53:37 PM »
Your symptoms seem to be related to anxiety. At your age your chances of having a serious illness are remote.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline SheWhoShallRemainNameless

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 11:13:50 PM »
IBS is... Well, I'm experimenting to see what works. Staying calm helps but doesn't solve it. The joint pain is a genetic condition that I can't actually remember the name of, but basically the cartilage in my joints (mostly my knees) is thin and wears down. I'll probably need a knee replacement when I get old, but I'll worry about then. And no, you don't have it. My bones hurt when I'm cold, too. I don't know why.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 02:15:51 AM »
Bright red blood in your stool is indicative of a burst blood vessel. It's way better to have bright red blood than dark blood.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Offline ElizabethA103

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
The symptoms keep piling up. I found a hard ball on the back of my ear (not on the ear itself) but OMG lymph nodes are a symptom of leukemia and being sick. I'm so scared when I get a flu or cold or s upper respiratory infection. I'm so done.  :traurig001:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Myocdragon

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 08:08:57 PM »
So many "symptoms" we find are induced by anxiety. And the symptoms that AREN'T induced by anxiety are interpreted through anxiety (and in my and maybe your case, OCD).

I am 100% sure you don't have cancer. But the first thing you should do is get checked out by a doctor. He or She will confirm that you don't have cancer. The second thing you should do is see a psychiatrist. A psychiatrist saved my life. Meds saved my life.

I absolutely promise you that you will get better. Find a good pdoc, and FOLLOW the treatment. Get to a CBT therapist if you can. But I cannot stress strongly enough how effective treatment can be. You are NOT done. You are just beginning to recover. Take a positive step toward your bright, wonderful, joyful future. It gets better. It's hard to see that it will get better when you're in the middle of the darkness, but it will get better.

Keep us posted. Tell your parents right away what you need.
Bookmark and Share
I'm not crazy, I've just lost my mind

Tags: