Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Intro and fears  (Read 268 times)

Offline Niceguy237

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Intro and fears
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:37:25 PM »
Hi all, just joined.  I've had moderate anxiety consistently for the past several years which have manifested into some panic attacks and excessive worry.  3-4 months back I developed a nasty hypochondria - first about melanoma (after hearing a PSA on the radio about excessive tanning), then GI track cancers (after perceiving too much stomach growling, late onset type 1 diabetes (after a few nights of excessive urination).  Went to dermo and GP about all of these concerns and was basically told not to be concerned and all tests came back normal. 

The most recent is a real crippling fear of neuromuscular disease.  Started with random twitches in legs/feet 3 months back, then fatigued shoulder a month later, tense facial area, then dry and tingly tongue, as well as some otherwise general fatigue and more fatigue after gym workouts.  Went to GP who was basically dismissive, then went to neurologist who specializes in neuromuscular disorders.  Told him all the symptoms - he gave me thorough clinical exam and told me he saw nothing to worry about except excessive anxiety.  Didn't feel I needed more advanced diagnostics (MRI/EMG).  That was 2 weeks ago. 

I've had a ton of crippling anxiety the past 2 weeks and want to believe I am all setbut since the symptoms remain, my mind is in a frenzy.  I've completely quit googling symptoms and the such as of this morning.  I just can't shake these symptoms or my worries. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Intro and fears
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:12:32 AM »
Hate waking up with the same symptoms despite treating the anxiety.  This freaks me out most of all.  Had shoulder soreness for too long now one finger also has some sensations.  I do feel like I had a thorough exam with neuro but wonder if more has to be done?  Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 04:38:20 AM »
If a neurologist doesn't think you have neurological symptoms, odds are great that you don't. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 06:43:12 AM »
Hi and Welcome. If a neuro cleared you then you have nothing to worry, they would love to find something. Your symtomps are your anxiety manifestation. I had fears because of my dads heart condition, and mine manifests with chest pains and the likes, which are nothing more then muscle cramps. Trust me your mind can do some serious things to your body.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
Thanks, I keep telling myself these things but my mind wanders and is very sensitive to new symptoms.  For example, this morning I woke up with a brief hand cramp and my anxiety kicked in high hear thinking it was serious sign of horrid illness. 

Another thing that really screws with my anxiety is that my muscle tension will not go away.  Tight shoulders, tight face muscles for months and I think I hurt one of my fingers propping myself put of bed three weeks ago.  Now if I prop myself up using a certain part of my palm, I get a vicious shooting pain up the right side of my ring finger along with numbness that fades in like an hour. 

Just want to feel 100%
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:08:56 PM »
O yes the muscle tightness I have as well, big time. As crappy as it may sound, your body and mind will slowly start adjusting, at that point you have to grab the opportunity and start re-training your mind. Count backwards from 100 and skip three, so like 100, 97, 94 ....... you will have to little bit of math in your head and break the anxiety pattern. Practice mindfulness, for example if you hear birds chirping focus only on that sound, or if you hear your fridge humming, focus solely on that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline BigK75

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 02:01:22 PM »
Anxiety is absolutely brutual.  Have you considered getting cognitive behavior therapy.  I did and it worked.  Then I stopped going and I am right back where I was.  I feel like this anxiety is debilitating.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:24:08 PM »
Thanks for the responses.  Very compassionate community here.

I am wrestling in my mind whether or not to call back the neuro and demand and EMG despite seeing him for clinical exam only 3 weeks ago.  Very afraid my symptoms are early signs of ALS.  I did feel the clinical exam was thorough but can't free my mind that something may have been missed.  I am also freaked out by random shooting pain on one side of my ring finger.  I think I hurt it by accident using my hand to prop myself up, but it won't heal and it's freaking me out.  I am only 32 and hate this anxiety but am dealing with it the best I can.  Just can't quiet my restless mind for any length of time outside of sleeping. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Niceguy237

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 11:39:31 AM »
Hi and Welcome. If a neuro cleared you then you have nothing to worry, they would love to find something. Your symtomps are your anxiety manifestation. I had fears because of my dads heart condition, and mine manifests with chest pains and the likes, which are nothing more then muscle cramps. Trust me your mind can do some serious things to your body.

The neuro didn't see any red flags, but said "we need to keep an open mind" and set up follow up for 6 months.  I wish he would have scheduled some more detailed diagnostic exams because I told him all of my symptoms - muscle twitching randomly when at rest, tongue tingling when talking, fatigued shoulder, excessive fatigue, etc.  He went through the basic detailed clinical exam and told me he saw no signs of motor neuron disease, ms, brain tumor, etc.  He said most likely benign fasciculation syndrome and excessive anxiety.  But I wish he would have just scheduled an emg or something, he claimed he saw "no reason" for those tests, but I see a reason in my symptoms.  No clinical exam is perfect. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline insomniac

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2014, 06:40:26 AM »
You see, there has to be a reason for the neuro to even continue pursuing further testing, he didnt find anything that would warrant that. Im only speaking on this, because when my panic attacks and anxiety started I was in and out of ERs dozens of times, wondering why arent they scanning my head wth!!! You are going through classic anxiety issues. e
Bookmark and Share

Offline Teril

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 10:07:51 AM »
Anxiety is absolutely brutual.  Have you considered getting cognitive behavior therapy.  I did and it worked.  Then I stopped going and I am right back where I was.  I feel like this anxiety is debilitating.

Hi Niceguy and welcome to the community.  I quoted BigK75 because, as you have been experiencing, anxiety can most definitely be brutal and debilitating.  I have had anxiety to various degrees all my life (and I am now a woman "of a certain age") but it has gotten much worse as I've gotten older to the point that I ended up on disability nine years ago, largely due to anxiety that prevented me from going to work many days.

The anxiety has ebbed and flowed, largely depending on circumstances, but any new "symptom" I find sends me off the charts.  Unlike many others, though, I avoid going to doctors when I have a symptom because I don't want to hear what they might find so I do the "ostrich routine."  Due to a recent situation I have had one of the worst HA attacks in years, resulting in my not leaving the apartment and sleeping about 75% of the time to try to block out the frightening thoughts.  I finally got myself to a therapist last week who prescribed a med. that seems to be helping a little.  Of course yesterday a new fear hit (my recent post on hyperparathyroidism) so I'm back to the ARRGGGHHH!!! mode.

Hang in there...and keep talking to us.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: