Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Physical Signs Of Stress/Anxiety  (Read 290 times)

Offline CarrieAnn

• Rec's: 13
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Physical Signs Of Stress/Anxiety
« on: April 30, 2014, 08:04:17 PM »
For about 5 years I have been plagued with the physical symptoms of anxiety one of them being, muscle tension.  It all began when I injured my hip by tearing a muscle.  The pain was chronic for a year straight, even with physical therapy.  Before the injury I was very physically active--working out at the gym 3-4 days a week.  The exercising had me in a pretty calm, happy state, as I was burning off lots of stress.

After my injury I noticed my back was hurting a lot with what felt like muscle tension.  I was not able to exercise as I previously had because I wanted my hip to heal----and then unfortunately my gym closed.  Thus, I wasn't burning off my stress with exercise, and the constant pain was putting additional stress on me, making my back tension worse.

I am doing a lot better with my anxiety as far as the panic symptoms (rapid heart-rate, avoiding things etc.) all of those symptoms are dwindling away, and I have come so far with getting over those symptoms, I see it as quite miraculous because I thought I would never overcome those things, but I somehow did.  The only symptom left to get rid of is the muscle tension.

I really want to get back into exercising like I used to just for the calming benefits.  I have experienced first hand how exercise can eliminate anxiety, and I think that it (exercise) can be a tool added to my ways of coping.  I am just looking for relief because my back pain is terrible :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline Raichoo

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Physical Signs Of Stress/Anxiety
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:29:55 PM »
Ouch that sounds like a pain alright. Honestly, for muscle tension, have you ever thought of swimming? I would think swimming would be nice since you're in water and all and it is great exercise. Walking is good too of course, but I would think being in water would be nicer on the back. If you can't get to a pool, I've heard soaks in hot baths are nice for the tension. I also think exercises that help relax you and help limber up are good, like basic yoga and the like. I typically get jelly limbs with my anxiety but yoga still helps if I'm not too freaked out. The best part with yoga or hot baths is that you don't need a gym or anything to do them at. I'm sure there are plenty more flexible exercises that can be done in a variety of ways and locations, but these are what I've seen.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: