Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Articles   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: I hope this is helpful for at least some of you  (Read 293 times)

Offline snowberry

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I hope this is helpful for at least some of you
« on: April 30, 2014, 07:30:45 PM »
I found this through another anxiety website: http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=53

It is a series of modules to help you understand HA, what leads to it, and some exercises to help reduce or even get rid of your obsession with health. I am on module five and a lot of it makes sense. I will be practising the focusing exercises every day to see if it helps at all.

It is recommended that you read the modules in order. Good luck, and let me know if you're going to give the exercises a try. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: I hope this is helpful for at least some of you
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 08:48:00 PM »
Just to clarify, the exercises do not appear to take up too much of you time. You will need a worry diary and a thought diary, and lots of self-discipline.
Bookmark and Share

Online bpadilla49

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:58 PM »
Thanks for this post. I'm desperate! I'll try anything. I'm going to give this a "go" this week.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 35
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2014, 01:21:42 AM »
Thank you so much for posting this!  Bookmarking to take a closer read later on. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 01:23:36 AM »
Yes! Great stuff. This is actually linked in one of the stickies up above on the board.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=58186.0

Thanks for reposting!
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 03:11:43 PM »
Yes! Great stuff. This is actually linked in one of the stickies up above on the board.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php?topic=58186.0

Thanks for reposting!

Eek! Apologies! I should read the stickies more closely.  :yes: I'm glad this has been posted before, if it helps even one person it's worth it. I have been practising focusing on what I'm doing rather than allowing myself to go on autopilot while I think. It does help. I will buy a worry diary and a thought diary tomorrow and start the designated 'worry time' exercise.

Problem is, right now I am genuinely ill with either a kidney infection or stomach virus  :laugh3: so unfortunately I DO have actual symptoms that are difficult to ignore when you are peeing 3 times an hour. But I am thinking rationally about it. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 92
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »
No worries! The repost is good—I think people forget that the stickies exist up there. So the more exposure the better!  ;D

Hope you feel better soon!
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Online famv5

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:44 PM »
Thank you!  Off to read it now. :)
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »
No worries! The repost is good—I think people forget that the stickies exist up there. So the more exposure the better!  ;D

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! I'm feeling a bit better.

The exercises seem deceptively simple, so I worry that some may shrug it off and think 'nah, won't work for me, I'm too far gone'. But I urge us all to at least try. It will be hard and require a lot of self-discipline, but it's worth it to try. I think it's better to change the way we think than to go on anti-depressants, if we can avoid it (you may need both - no judgement here, I may go on them eventually). Anyone who gives it a try, keep us updated with your progress. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:45:19 PM »
I highly recommend self-help modules like this. A self-help workbook that I went through for OCD actually helped me loads. I kind of made it a "compulsion" to work in my self-help book when I got anxious rather than dwelling on the thoughts or googling symptoms and so forth.

It's VERY important to change the way you think whether you decide to go on antidepressants or anxiety medication or not. In both circumstances, it's still important to learn coping skills. The medication isn't really meant to just "fix" people, which I think is what a lot of people go into them expecting. The medication is moreso aimed at giving you the support you need on the physiological side (like not feeling anxious physically, slowing down racing thoughts, calming you) so that you can work on the emotional/coping side yourself. At least that's my view of it.  ::)
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline snowberry

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
stephtronic you are right, meds may be needed and they can help people get their lives back, but for most people you need more than just the meds. You need to learn how to retrain your brain.

Let me tell you guys how things are going.

---

I have started a routine of meditating twice a day. I do five minutes in the morning or early afternoon, and five minutes before bed. This has been going on for a week, pretty much since I found those PDFs in the first post.

It's hard. It's really, really hard. Learning to push away thoughts, to concentrate only on your breathing, will feel impossible at first. Thoughts and daydreams and even random images will keep vying for your attention. Twice I googled 'unable to meditate' because I honestly thought I was doing it wrong. But the more I meditate, the easier it becomes to push those thoughts away and come back to my breath. In one week of meditating twice a day I have noticed a vast improvement.

Have I experienced anything profound? No, not really. I don't even find it relaxing. But I can tell that it's getting easier to clear my mind. And what this tells me is that, actually, I do have control over my thoughts.

I have tried other tasks from the PDFs, such as 'mundane task focusing'. The PDF says this is probably easier than meditation, but honestly, I find it harder. There's a reason we do most mundane tasks on auto-pilot - it's because they're boring. For those who haven't read the PDF, the point of the Mundane Task Focusing (MTF) is to keep you focused on the present by being aware of your senses during a task such as ironing or emptying the dishwasher, a time when your mind is usually kept occupied with thoughts or daydreams. It's true, actually. I have actively avoided many chores since my anxiety/depression, and it's not out of laziness. I hate being in a position where my mind is able to drift off into thinky land. I usually cope by wearing my headphones.

The problem is, thinking about how a plate feels and the sound it makes as I place it in the cupboard doesn't hold my attention for very long. Also, depression can I think 'stunt' the senses somewhat, which doesn't help matters. So it's hard, really, to stay 'in the present' for an MTF.

However - I can absolutely see the benefit of doing this. I can see why it works - those of us with anxiety or depression are usually so focused on the past or the future that we don't feel like we're a part of the present. So I'm going to keep trying, because it will get easier the more I do it.

The biggest problem in the equation is me.

My brain tries to trip me up - no, wait. I try to trip me up. A thought from The Voice of Doom (tm) will do what I call a 'drive by' every so often, reminding me of something that used to make me anxious, or trying to tell me that I can't do it or that it won't work. 'Drive by' thoughts last only a second, but they leave behind a whole ton of anxious feelings in their wake. And what's worse is I know these thoughts come from me! I make them myself. I am trying to trip myself up. I have been so pessimistic and so miserable for so long that I don't believe I can be otherwise.

All that is changing.

I don't know if it's the meditation or the fact that I've started a thoughts diary (the PDFs suggest a thought and a worry diary, so I may diverge and start a second one soon), but I'm suddenly starting to see these things for what they are - just thoughts. And I'M the one controlling them.

Am I 'cured'? Oh god, no. I'm only a week in. Today started off as a great day, but as the day went on, I felt less of that. And now, if I had to describe how I felt, I'd say, 'okay'.

A week ago an okay day would have been awesome! Now I am getting used to feeling better and better, an okay day seems blah. I'm not sure why this happened - maybe it's the bad weather, or maybe the McDonalds I had (I will not eat there again). Still, I am calm and collected.

I am going to keep going with the meditation, MTF and diary. If I feel that I still need extra help, I will get some anti-depressants, as I know that my depression is greatly influenced by my menstrual cycle and CBT may not be enough to completely help me out when there are chemical/hormonal aspects at play. And I'm okay with that - if it happens, it happens.

But regardless of meds/no meds, this stuff all makes sense. I urge you to read through the PDFs. Check out the one for general anxiety too, as it has plenty of stuff that can relate to HA. Then I want you to read this:

It is not easy. It is not a quick fix. It is hard. You may see some results at the beginning like I did, or you may not see changes for a long time, but in order to change your life you will need to keep up with this every single day, for as long as it takes to retrain your thought processes.

Most of you who try will give up - the voice of doom (tm) will work its magic. But it doesn't have to be that way. I'm thinking of starting a blog to track my progress. If you think it's an interesting idea, let me know, and I'll link to it if I get around to making it.

I wish you all the best. If you're interested, here's a 5 minute meditation timer video. It chimes at the beginning and end: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2xNEcJb540&list=PLUCWUtEWuelbl7NCAWn8yroeMYVNLntBh&index=6
Bookmark and Share

Tags: