Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Mirtazapine (Avanza, Axit, Mirtaz, Mirtazon, Remeron, Zispin) Question  (Read 469 times)

Offline raggamuffin

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
every gp I saw (7 in total) were anti benzos. I got five 1mg once when I had a severe panic attack in the waiting room and by the time I got into the gp's office I was trembling and a complete wreck. Speaking to American's on anxiety forums I noticed a member check more lenient approach to Benzos prescriptions state side

Ed
Bookmark and Share
Feel free to add me - *****.com/edward.frrp?fref=nf

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Here's something I wondered, would the medication affect empathy? I know it alters mood, but I found that I've always been a person who people come to for advice and I always empathize with people. often taking on their burdens unecessarily. But recently I am not feeling much. I've read about people feeling numb or indifferent on medication such as SSRI's and such like. So I guess this could be something to be expected? Not really concerned about it. As i'm 6 weeks into this now i've got used to all the side effects. I just noticed today though, that people still come to me asking for advice and I feel little emotion towards the situation.

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
every gp I saw (7 in total) were anti benzos.

You've got a better chance of winni ng the pools than getting a BZD prescription from a NHS GP, though apparently it's a little easier if you go private. And the NHS looks like it is moving away from antidepressants to therapy too. Before the GFC pole-axed the UK economy there were grand plans to train and extra 10,000 therapists, plus offer online courses. Most NHS trusts do now offer online therapies such as Fear-fighter, but then extra therapists seems to have been put on the back burner.

I've read about people feeling numb or indifferent on medication such as SSRI's and such like. So I guess this could be something to be expected? Not really concerned about it.

It's early days yet. IME, most do not usually turn into emotionless robots when taking antidepressants though they often do turn inwards for a while at the beginning. A change of med may overcome this if it becomes an ongoing issue.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thanks for all the responses it's been very helpful. So I went back to the GP today as he'd asked me to see him after around 3 weeks to see how I was doing. As I noticed no change after 3 I waited until 6. He's upped the doseage to 45mg but asked me to book another appointment in 3 weeks time. He said if it's not had an effecty by that time then it'd be time to slowly take me off them and try something else.

Personally I would like to go down the medication free route. A friend fo mine at work went to dfo CBT like me. But didn't find it effective (like me). He read about ERP therapy and how studies are showing it might be more effective than CBT. He recommended I try that instead. Do you know much about this route of therapy?

http://www.sevencounties.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=52493&cn=6

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 87
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
He read about ERP therapy and how studies are showing it might be more effective than CBT. He recommended I try that instead. Do you know much about this route of therapy?

http://www.sevencounties.org/poc/view_doc.php?type=doc&id=52493&cn=6

Exposure therapy is a part of CBT. I can be particularly useful where there are specific triggers for the anxiety so I'm not sure how helpful it will be for you, but, as with all treatments, the only way to ascertain its effectiveness is to try it.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline raggamuffin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I wanted to wait until I was in a calmer frame of mind from medication but as i'm not sure if Remeron is the one for me i'm going to have to hold off with therapy. Then again, NHS waiting lists for therapy might takle 3+ months. That'd be enough time to taper off Remeron if needs be and try a different medication.

Ironically I feel rougher today with no hangover than I did the past 5 days when i'd been drinking daily. Oh well, i'll hold out for the 3 week mark on the new 45mg tablet.

Ed
Bookmark and Share

Tags: