Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Abnormal MRI on brain....  (Read 906 times)

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Abnormal MRI on brain....
« on: April 30, 2014, 02:09:15 PM »
Just curious if anyone else has gotten this and what happend? i went in for an MRI of my brain...well it was supposed to be of my neck because of a bad pull i suffered and im having left over nerve pain int he back of my head.....well it was just of my brain...they found a few spots in the white matter....the doctor scared the hell out of me and told me its either high cholesteral or MS....i left freaking out and balling...i called my brother who is a doctor in OKC and his brother in law is a neurologist.....he immediatly called his brother in law and read him the readings....He then said that this is normal for someone who smokes(which i do) and someone that has had migraines....so basically my brother is saying to not be afraid..its basically an normal MRI...i go and see a neurologist in Tulsa(which is closer and who my doctor referred me too) on the 12th of May...my moms scared like no other and my whole family....i have such bad anxiety i keep feeling like im going to "lose it" or pass out...or i can't see straight...from what my brother says these small abnormailites can't cause any of this and that i need to get my anxiety under control...all my migraines stopped abruptly when i was told to get off the birth control pill...the bc pill has always made me devestatingly anxious and have severe migraines....but since i've gotten off them i dont get them anymore...i had the bad ones with aura....My brother thinks its that....but everyone is so scared..including me....has anyone ever experiaced an abnormal MRI...and what happend? They want to do a spinal tap..but my brother said his brother in law said that its so insegnificant that he seriously doubts any neurologist would want to do that....... but i go through the indians and they always send u for big tests and panic u...they did it when my pap came back abnormal and they wanted to send me for a colposcopy asap....and i didnt trust that..beaucse i knew the pill kept me in a constant yeast infection type state..so i went and saw a regular obgyn and he told me to immedatily get off the bc pill and come back and to NOT let them cut on me.....so i didnt...and im fine...so....any responses are welcomed ..just need some reassurance....
Bookmark and Share
~The one big bummer about reality is.....there's no awesome background music~

Offline greend

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Abnormal MRI on brain....
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 02:17:52 PM »
I personally know two people who have white spots on their brains found through MRIs. In both cases they turned out to be just a normal part of their MRI. Apparently these white spots are quite common, so if it were me I probably wouldn't worry.

But, believe me I know that horrified feeling. I am experiencing it now myself. I have to see a neurologist in a month and I am just for freaking.

You will be okay.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 02:23:17 PM »
Yeah i keep looking at my kids like...are they gonna be without me? am i gonna be disabled? One doctor didnt give much hope but them my brother kinda laughed it off like..pffft u have migraines..bad with aura..or did......thats all it is...dont worry....EASY FOR HIM TO SAY.....im terrified that the neurologist wont see it his way.....like i get my hopes up and think well ok..its normal...then go have it crushed again the 12th...and i feel so stupid for insisting on the MRI in the first place...but i kept getting shocking pains in the back of my head like ice pick pains from the neck pull....i justttttt wanted to be done with it all...now these more!!! i keep feeling dizzy and weird...im just wiggin OUT
Bookmark and Share

Offline fhestia

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 06:01:47 PM »
I'm also seeing a neurologist in a month so I understand the panic you're going through!  Having said that, I do know that white spots are very, very common for anyone who has suffered migraines before.  They will correlate your MRI with an in-office neuro exam and medical history and I would be really surprised if they want to do any follow-up on it.  Good luck and keep us posted.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
I had a white spot or two on my brain MRI, and there was a long scary list of things it could be, but considering a lifelong migraine history, I assume that's the cause.  They don't cause symptoms, they're just there.  Many people have them. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 10:22:38 AM »
Thank you guys so much!! it is scary...but you helped more than you know :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kmj023

• Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:27 AM »
Do you know of these white spots might show on a ct scan as well. I always got migraines near my cycle and from smoking too much or being on the computer. And I am having a ct scan next thurs of my sinuses and I've been afraid of a brain tumor so I asked for a whole head ct scan. I'm getting scared and last thing I need is to white spots on my brain.
Bookmark and Share
"The only illness that we can't accept is hypochondria."

"Never Google, everyone will catch an invisible tumor!"

"Anxiety is not a doctor. Neither is the internet."

Actual diagnosis : chronic sinusitis.
Google diagnosis : brain cancer.

Symptoms : dizzy head feeling.

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
thats what I thought..but when they are there..they are there...I got the head scan to just to ensure..now I wish I hadent...and no those lil specks dont come up on a CAT scan..not a CY scan with dye might...
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
My father in law is a doctor and he says "Don't go looking for things to be wrong, because eventually you'll find something."  A couple white spots on the brain are nothing at all to worry about, but we freak out over them because it's what we do.  We all have to find a way to hear "this is just a normal variation and not something to worry about" and believe it.  (I'll let you know if I ever figure it out...sigh.)

And no I don't think they'd show on a CT.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brittney.kerby0510

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2014, 07:02:34 AM »
My friend had 2 ct scans in December, she had been suffering from migraines for 3 years and FINALLY decided to get checked out! (Obviously no health anxiety there!!) haha anyway, both scans showed the white marks and also showed a tumor. She was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, 28 yrs old, 3 children and 6 months to live. They weren't worried about those spots at all! Said they didn't know how long they've been there and really didn't care.... So I'm saying all of this because I think if there was anything wrong, they would have been more concerned and a plan of what was next would have been lined up immediately. I hope your ha allows you to start thinking positive! I know how scary every little thing can be! Do keep us posted after your next appt and best wishes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline michelle360

• Rec's: 5
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 12:15:59 AM »
My friend had 2 ct scans in December, she had been suffering from migraines for 3 years and FINALLY decided to get checked out! (Obviously no health anxiety there!!) haha anyway, both scans showed the white marks and also showed a tumor. She was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, 28 yrs old, 3 children and 6 months to live. They weren't worried about those spots at all! Said they didn't know how long they've been there and really didn't care....

B-;

I think this post, though well meaning, may scare some people around here who worry about brain tumors and happen to have headaches. I don't mean to sound harsh, but of course they weren't worried about white spots when there was an inoperable, terminal brain tumor to focus on.

Is your friend okay? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline ProofAutumn8246

• They don't think it be like it is but it do.
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2014, 12:59:25 AM »
My friend had 2 ct scans in December, she had been suffering from migraines for 3 years and FINALLY decided to get checked out! (Obviously no health anxiety there!!) haha anyway, both scans showed the white marks and also showed a tumor. She was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor, 28 yrs old, 3 children and 6 months to live.

You probably shouldn't post stories like that in here. I'm sorry for your friend, and if you're having a hard time dealing with it there are other forums to post that in. But in a forum for Hypochondriacs who go into panic attacks over a headache thinking it's cancer, a post like this is really really really hurting things. 
Bookmark and Share
In the scheme of things it doesn't matter much.~

Offline stephtronic

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Hot
    Hot
  • \m/
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 01:16:16 AM »
You probably shouldn't post stories like that in here. I'm sorry for your friend, and if you're having a hard time dealing with it there are other forums to post that in. But in a forum for Hypochondriacs who go into panic attacks over a headache thinking it's cancer, a post like this is really really really hurting things. 
On the one hand, yes, a post like that could send people in a tizzy here, BUT on the other hand, part of dealing with health anxiety is learning that things like that DO happen to people. No one gets better by avoiding it. It is a fact of life that sometime, something bad could happen. BUT - that doesn't mean that it will happen to you, and it doesn't make something that you have HA about any more likely to actually be something sinister either.

White spots on the brain is a common finding during MRIs, and I wouldn't be surprised if the neurologist just brushes it right off. There is no "it's either this or this." It could still very well be nothing or be caused by something else totally benign!
Bookmark and Share
My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them.

Offline Hunniedeww24

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2014, 10:38:23 AM »
Thank you everyone for your posts! I go this upcoming Monday and will.post what he says as soon as I can..thank you for caring..it means alot me and in this waiting time you have actually calmed me which means the world..thank you!
Bookmark and Share

Offline yesyesno

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 11:32:57 AM »
You've been given great advice, but just to add my two cents: my neurologist told me before I did an MRI that we may see white spots because I have a "migraine brain".  She also said they see them more in women than men, but that they are not a worry.  You have migraines and are a woman!  So again, completely common to see.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: