Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Meds Frustration!  (Read 996 times)

Offline insights

• Rec's: 117
  • Mood: Curious
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Meds Frustration!
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2014, 06:08:01 PM »
I am still worried about the heart thing with anti depressants. which ones would be the less for the problems?

You are worrying unnecessarily about this. Unless you have a specific heart condition none of the antidepressants, or the many other meds which may prolong the QTc interval including antibiotics and several heart meds,  will cause you any problems. Apart from Celexa (citalopram) and Lexapro (escitalopram) none of the SSRIs are known to prolong the QTc interval, nor do the SNRIs.

is it always fatal?

No. And you'd need to have the specific heart issue and be taking above the recommended maximum dose. I was on 350mg/day of imipramine for several years and my heart was fine with no evidence of QTc problems. Ive been on 225mg/day (max dose is 200mg) of dosulepin, which is the most cardio toxic antidepressant, for nearly 20 years and my heart continues to be fine.

I like with Trazodone would the does for insomnia not cause it when you are on another anti depressant too.

At the doses prescribed for sleep trazodone only acts as an antihistamine. It has very low serotonergic and norepinephrinergic properties so you need to take at least 225mg to get an antidepressant response.

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.