Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety Meds Frustration!  (Read 962 times)

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety Meds Frustration!
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 02:46:00 PM »
Hi Christophe - also wanted to reply to you.  I like Lexapro a lot and  I hope it works for you!  I started with 5mg and moved to 10mg but I am a woman.  I take it in the morning.  I sleep well on it but again I take it in the morning, not sure if you take it at night if that will make a difference? In my experience I gave Lexapro at least one week to do its thing before I decided to stay on it or not.  The first pill of any drug is hard to persist through because it makes you feel funny/different.  try super hard to ignore any strange feelings and give it time to do whatever it needs to do.  If sleep is a big issue for you don't take it at night because if it wakes you up, you might be scared to take it again.

I do agree with Ian that Effexor (and Cymbalta, I did take that and I hear its similar) are hard to go off. 

Bookmark and Share

Offline Christophe

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply Snoopy.

I'm waiting a few more days until I start with the Lexapro. 

Does anyone know how long anafranil stays in your system?  I took the one pill last Sunday night and I'm still feeling weird today.  Increased OCD thoughts and anxiety.  Don't know what's going on as I haven't taken it since.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 09:44:03 PM »
I am on celexa and still have spells and now am having trouble sleeping. I have trazodone for sleep but haven't taken it yet. I am afraid to take it with another ant depressant.

At doses below 150-225mg trazodone is only an antihistamine, essentially a much stronger Benadryl, so won't affect Celexa.

I was wondering could you switch to trazodone without tapering off the celexa.

No. You could cross taper though.

does it have the same heart effect as celexa and the TCA. this worrys me as I do have missed heart beats

Yes, trazodone may prolong the QTc interval. However, this is not the same as missed beats. Missed beats are normal, actually a good thing because the heart is supposed to be chaotic. It is the perfectly regular beats that are abnormal and often a very bad sign (and before everyone starts checking whether their heart is beating with metronome precision, it is nearly impossible to detect this even with a stethoscope, plus other serious symptoms would be evident).

I took imipramine for several years and the constipation was horrible I even got severe stomach pains too.

The main imipramine metabolite desimipramine (Norpramin) is as effective but much less likely to trigger the typical TCA side-effects such as constipation and dry-mouth.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2014, 09:50:09 PM »
I would like to know more about trazodone too please.  Can you take it with an SSRI (as forever young asks) and will it boost the current anti-depressant?

No. You'd need to cross taper onto trazodone.

But Lexapro works so well for my social anxiety - now I am looking for more help with my agoraphobia.

What is the Lexapro dose, and how long have you been on it?

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2014, 10:48:29 PM »
I am on 10 mg Lexapro and I have been on it for about 6 months.  I weigh about 140lbs female gender.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2014, 12:43:04 AM »
If that doesn't work I suppose I can continue through the SSRI's until I find something that works.

If you've tried 2 or 3 SSRIs without success then it's probably time to try SNRIs and TCAs.

If OCD is an issue then the SSRI most likely to work is Luvox (fluvoxamine). OCD is the hardest of the anxiety disorders to control and often needs high antidepressant doses coupled with a mood stabilizer or anti psychotic.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2014, 12:48:50 AM »
In my experience I gave Lexapro at least one week to do its thing before I decided to stay on it or not.

It typically takes antidepressants 3-12 weeks to kick-in. They work by initiating and sustaining the growth of new brain cells and this takes time. Some people do get a quick response, but this is the placebo effect in action, not the antidepressant. It's great if it lasts until the med begins working, however, it can't be relied on.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2014, 12:57:37 AM »
Does anyone know how long anafranil stays in your system?

About 6 days, however, most of it will have been metabolized by now so you could start of Lexapro immediately.

I took the one pill last Sunday night and I'm still feeling weird today. Increased OCD thoughts and anxiety.  Don't know what's going on as I haven't taken it since.

It's almost certainly not from the Anafranil because while there may still be some in your system it is too small to have any effect. Most likely it's anxiety. In fact, I suspect your reaction had more to do with apprehension about taking Anafranil than the drug itself.

Ian
Bookmark and Share

Offline Snoopy10

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2014, 09:56:26 AM »
In my experience I gave Lexapro at least one week to do its thing before I decided to stay on it or not.

It typically takes antidepressants 3-12 weeks to kick-in. They work by initiating and sustaining the growth of new brain cells and this takes time. Some people do get a quick response, but this is the placebo effect in action, not the antidepressant. It's great if it lasts until the med begins working, however, it can't be relied on.

Ian

I meant give it a week to get used to the funny feeling people may get when starting a new drug. Sometimes when I start a new drug the side effects scare me off in the first day and since the poster said he felt nausea etc after taking a drug, I thought maybe give it some time for that start up phase to diminish. Sorry I need to be more clear in my posts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2014, 10:17:03 AM »
Ian thanks for replying. okay so Trazodone is not heart friendly. which of the SSRIs are the least likely to cause trouble? I have taken Zoloft and it made me very sleepy during the day. I was okay on it but had a little break thru anxiety I was on 100 mg so that may have been it. I had it in my head that Prozac would be better as I had been told by someone that it worked great for them. I switched to Prozac and helped me greatly but I went off it crazy mistake and when tried to get back on the insomnia was terrible. I then switched to celexa and got better with my sleep but it is broken now I am back to having trouble sleeping wonder if it was not the Prozac. where I am going with this if I switched to Zoloft or paxil and they didn't work would I have trouble getting back on celexa?

I am still worried about the heart thing with anti depressants. which ones would be the less for the problems? It is rare right? I have always never wanted to know sideffects and when I took imipramine I wouldn't but then that was before google. is it always fatal? I like with Trazodone would the does for insomnia not cause it when you are on another anti depressant too. I hate over thinking things and I am getting older and that worries me. Grrrrrrr
Bookmark and Share

Tags: