Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Low Hemoglobin. Panicked.  (Read 289 times)

Offline daisymae

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Low Hemoglobin. Panicked.
« on: April 30, 2014, 09:33:16 AM »
I've been seeing a hemotologist for a year for low white blood cells.  Well over the past year my WBC has remained stable and the doc isn't concerned.  However, now my hemoglobin has fallen below normal (it's 11.0) and the dr says I need to start iron supp and visit my Obgyn and possibly a GI dr.  I'm an absolute basket case over this.  Anyone have experience with this?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brooke2288

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Low Hemoglobin. Panicked.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 10:35:05 AM »
I can relate. I recently gave birth to twins and about a week before I had them, I had blood work done and my hemoglobin level was a 10. Not sure if it had to do with pregnancy, but they said it should be at least 12. This freaked me out because I have a huge lymphoma fear. After I gave birth, I lost a large amount of blood and my hemoglobin went down to a 6! I couldn't even get out of the hospital bed without someone holding me up...I was so weak and dizzy. I ended up having to get a blood transfusion. After the transfusion, it was still only at a 7...that was a month ago and I go back to the doctor in a week to take more blood to see if it has improved. It still freaks me out that It was so low before even giving birth, but I don't think yours is really a concern being at 11. If something were seriously wrong, it would probably be much lower than that.
Bookmark and Share

Offline crosbie87

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 11:56:53 AM »
I can relate but I wouldn't be too concerned. I was measured at 11.7 and I am a male. I had a 2nd test ordered by the doctor to see more in depth if something was wrong and the tests were fine. I finally did another blood test a month later and i was all of a sudden in normal range again. Important to note that what's considered normal is based on a average and you can sometimes be below that level and still be healthy. I am living proof :)

What's important is that they do additional test to see what is causing the low hemo. I wouldn't be surprised if the readings come out normal like what happened to me. Blood tests are not always very accurate or reliable when it comes to "borderline" readings.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 02:16:33 PM »
I work at a blood donation center. I see many levels below that. In fact, females are most commonly to be deferred for their iron. Eat more protein. It'll fluctuate.
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2014, 03:06:41 PM »
My hemo has been dropping from 13 to 11.6 in the last few years. I have heavy periods and my ferritin is only 3. Do u know what your ferritin level is?
I was sent yo the obgyn and had an u/s that showed 3 benign cysts in my ovary. All my hormones are ok. I have heavy periods and 2 months ago lasted 2 weeks which was draining my ferritin levels therefore my hemoglobin is down. I was also sent up GI and I am pending a colonoscopy scheduled for may 20. I had endoscopy. Few months ago that showed gastritis. My GI doctor doesn't think he will find anything in the colonoscopy. I do have IBS.

What's your WBC count? Lady time mine were 3.3 normal was 3.4. I am seeing a hematologist next week for lie iron and possibly iron infusions because I can't tolerate ferrous sulphate.

Good luck low hemo is very common with heavy periods.
Bookmark and Share
Going thru a rough patch! Praying for peace of mind and happiness!!!!

Offline Lindsay2427

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2014, 03:43:07 PM »
My hem was 13.8 at my yearly physical earlier this month. That was right after my period (like 2 days after stopping) I was worried it was "low" but oral was 11-18 so you don't seem too low. Maybe you just need iron supplements.
Bookmark and Share

Offline daisymae

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 04:00:51 PM »
Leah, we sound very similar!  My Hemoglobin has been dropping too.   A few years ago I was in the 13 range.  I don't know what my ferritin is, or if that has even been checked yet.  I meet with the hematologist next week to talk in person, but in the meantime I was advised to see my GI and Gyn.  So i have those appts for tomorrow.  I don't think my periods are exceedingly heavy by gyn standards (you know, they always say it's heavy if you have to change a super tampon every hour...mine isn't that heavy).  I have noticed that the length between my periods is getting shorter though.  I'm wondering if I've got something hormonal going on because I've noticed other changes as well with my hair etc.  I have no idea if any of this is related to my hemoglobin though.  I'm a mere 37 years old and yet I feel like my body is completely falling apart!
Bookmark and Share

Offline pinkflydthebarbr

• Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 01:25:43 AM »
Low iron is really nothing to worry about. It's very common in women, especially if you have a low menstrual cycle. No need to fret!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:06 AM »
Hey how did your appointments go? I have my app with the hematologist today and I am worried. BTW I am also 37!
Bookmark and Share

Offline daisymae

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »
Thanks for checking in on me :). The GI doc said I need EGD/colonoscopy.  That is scheduled for the 19th.  The gyno said it sounds like my periods are on the heavy side and if the hemotologist and GI dr can't find a reason for the anemia then to come back to her to discuss ablation or hysterectomy possibly.  The gyno also ordered bloodwork.  TSH and hormones.  My hemotologist appt is on Thurs.  I'm a nervous wreck.  Good luck with your appt today.  Let me know how it goes!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 02:30:17 PM »
We r going Thru the same. Already went to gyn got u/s found 3 cysts in my ovary. The hormonal profile was all normal. Having colonoscopy on the 20th one day after you!
I am sitting at the hematologist office waiting for the doctor. I'll let u know what she says!
Bookmark and Share

Offline leah2013

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »
How was your App With The hematologist?
Bookmark and Share

Tags: