Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Irrational fear of rabies?  (Read 156 times)

Offline WhatIsRationality

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Irrational fear of rabies?
« on: April 29, 2014, 04:37:34 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but I've been lurking off and on for a while now. I'm not even in my 20s yet and I've been suffering from hypochondria for many years. My latest fears have been rabies, then meningitis, and now it's rabies again.  :(

Anyway, it started when my dad and I decided to go for a walk along our road (dirt road) and some trails yesterday afternoon. At one point along the way we came across large amounts of deer hair scattered across the road (it was literally everywhere) and a small remnant of carcass. Of course we stopped for a bit to look at what happened and my dad touched the carcass with his shoe. After that we walked through some trails for a half hour or so and then started walking back home, walking around that spot this time.

On our way back we stopped and talked with a neighbor about it, and they said that it was probably hunters leaving the carcass there for coyotes to eat, and apparently it's happened before. What I'm worried about is that we may have stepped in coyote saliva somewhere on the road or from the carcass my dad touched. I have no way of knowing when the carcass(es) was/were left there since we rarely ever go that way. Hunting season ended over four months ago, but it could have been an illegal hunter that left it there. I also have no way of knowing whether any of the animals involved were infected with rabies.

When we got home I changed my pants and socks, not just because of rabies fear but also as a precaution for the more reasonable risk of ticks. I'm afraid I may have gotten saliva or something in a cut I had on my finger (pant legs felt a tiny bit wet, though that could have been from the puddles we were trying to avoid). I washed my hands right after, but just after that I put my fingers in my mouth because I thought I had a hair on my tongue (my anxiety getting to me B-;), and I'm not sure if my hands were completely dry. Can the virus be reactivated through water or other saliva? I'm also freaking out that we could have possibly contaminated things in our home, like floor surfaces, sinks, or tables.

I apologize if this makes me look like a complete freak, but this has been leaving me very anxious since it happened. I actually told my mom who knows I'm like this and she joked a bit and said it was gross but said I shouldn't worry about it. I need more reassurance though, from people like me. I really need to know whether or not my fears are reasonable. I sure hope not.  :(

Bookmark and Share

Offline WhatIsRationality

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irrational fear of rabies?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 10:38:07 PM »
Anyone? Forgot to mention that it rained this past weekend, so that's a little reassuring. I find it unlikely that it just happened, since I don't think I saw blood or anything, just the hair and small carcass. I'm still concerned though...maybe there was some in a spot I didn't see, or covered up by the hair? 

I wouldn't be so worried if it wasn't a fatal disease.  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Stressed Jumper

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Irrational fear of rabies?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 08:53:04 AM »
You don't have rabies.  First of all you never touched any saliva...and a months old carcass is not going to harbor the virus anyway.  To get rabies you have to be bitten by a living rabid animal.  You are fine this is just anxiety.  Try to relax and hang in there!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: