Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Anxiety Zone Wire    Games   Social Groups   AZ Member Blogs   Health News  Bored?

Author Topic: Colonoscopy prep?  (Read 128 times)

Offline Beth

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Colonoscopy prep?
« on: April 29, 2014, 01:07:20 PM »
Hi everyone,

Today I'm stuck doing this prep for a colonoscopy. I've never had it done and have a couple questions for anyone who has done it.

1. My prep instructions say I'm allowed to have Jello and Gatorade (among other clear liquids) today. The only color they say to avoid is red. Is orange OK? It's my favorite non-red flavor.

2. I'm most worried about drinking the actual prep solution. Supposedly, at 6 p.m., I mix the solution with water and drink it. Then I'm supposed to follow that with 32 more ounces of water. I've read that the solution itself can cause nausea, so I have no idea how I'm going to swallow that much water after I drink it. I never drink that much water in such a short time. For those who have done it, did the prep make you sick? Were you able to drink all that water?

Thanks!

Beth
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 161
    • Poke This Member
Re: Colonoscopy prep?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 01:47:58 PM »
My mother was told to mix it with orange. So orange is fine. No problems there at all.

It is a lot to drink. I think at best to remember it is not a race to finish it as quickly as possible. The only people I heard of who were bad, were those who tried to down it in one go. Was talking to a girl who said she drank it like a shot in a pub. Bad mistake. Just sip at it. Take your time with it. I know it is not nice. But slowly does it.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline Roman

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:56:46 PM »
Hey beth thank you for replying to my post earlier
. I went through this last year. The reason they sAy no red jello or red anything is because it could be mistaken for blood in the colon. I ate green jello and had just chicken bullion cubes in boiled water. As far as the prep I had the oldstyle where they gave me the solution in a gallon jug and had to drink half of it the night before and half the day of the test. But I don't think you have to drink it all in one shot. Take your time and just relax. God bless
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth

• Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
Cuchculan and Roman,

Thanks so much for your replies!

I'm glad you both said something about drinking it slowly, because I think I would have been tempted to try to down it quickly (like your friend pretending it was a shot in the pub!). All right, then -- I'll go with the sipping. And I just made orange jello to put in the refrigerator!

Beth
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 02:13:11 PM »
I had a colonoscopy last Tuesday and prepped on Monday, I did the Miralax Gatorade prep! I was very very nauseated but I got through it! I was also only able to do half of the prep because of my nausea but I was completely 100% cleaned out with only half. The morning of the scope I was only pooping clear water (fun huh)
Hope all goes well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline xxAmyxx

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 02:22:59 PM »
I've had 2 scopes. I had the Miralax prep both times, I hope that's the one you have. I drank orange gatorade. What helped me was making sure it was cold and walking around while I was drinking it, trying to distract myself. Once you start pooping clear you're done, you don't have to drink any more. It took me a long time to be able to drink orange gatorade after that! Good luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2014, 02:34:41 PM »
Lindsay, Amy,

My prep is called Suprep. It doesn't have any specific instructions about what I can mix with the solution, but I'm assuming my crystal light lemonade (which is on the list of acceptable liquids) will be OK.

I'm glad to hear you had good results even without finishing all of the prep. I think my dad told me something similar -- that he couldn't finish the prep and the test still went just fine. I'm nervous. Can't wait until it's over!

Thanks for the good words -- glad to know that it went well for others!

Beth
Bookmark and Share

Offline lemonlimeskull

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Tired of being afraid....
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 02:48:14 PM »
Had a colonoscopy last spring, prep isn't nearly as bad as one would think it is. I was prepped with NuLYTELY, which came with its own flavor mix, it tasted like a combination of salty Gatorade and powdered milk in my opinion. I have a weak stomach and I managed to finish the prep, never imagined I would but I was determined to get this over with lol. I did best drinking it cold as possible and out of a straw so it had minimal mouth contact. I drank orange Gatorade all day while I was prepping and no problems, the green jello I ate showed up though which was kinda amusing. Honestly after the procedure was worse then preparing for it, but that was just pain in my intestines for a couple days and it wasn't unbearable or anything. You'll be fine, best of luck!
Bookmark and Share
I think I'm afraid of being happy because whenever I get too happy something bad always happens. ― Charles M. Schulz

Offline Beth

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 03:42:04 PM »
Thanks, Lemonlime! Oh boy -- almost 2 hours until I drink the fun stuff.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond!
Bookmark and Share

Offline 2jrts

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
I had mine 5 years ago - I did the Miralax prep. I will be honest, I threw up half of it and barely could get the remainder down. I was literally crying when they took me in. I didn't think they would be able to do it because I threw up so much of it. The nurse said I was probably fine and I was. For me, the prep was bad but the procedure was great. I woke up feeling like a million bucks!
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 04:03:59 PM »
Drinking the prep with a straw really seems to help-done it both times
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 04:24:33 PM »
I chugged my first 32 ounces. The prep isn't that bad..it'll take a hour or two to kick in. Stay close to a toilet and stay hydrated. I had powerade and green jello. You'll be ok! As always, the Internet really lies and amps things more than they should. Hands down easiest procedure ever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Brick5711

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 06:04:47 PM »
I agree with Riley. Use a straw. I did for both of my colonoscopies.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MadyMa

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2014, 06:18:01 PM »
I just had my 6th colonoscopy and I had SuPrep for the first time.   I have to be honest, it tastes nasty.  BUT, two things I did that helped - 1.  Use a straw (like others said) and 2.  I sliced a lemon in half and licked it after each sip.  It immediately takes that nasty taste away.  Good luck! 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: