Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)  (Read 550 times)

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
« on: April 29, 2014, 10:00:19 AM »
Does anyone here identify them as an HSP? I am reading a book about it and learning a lot about it. I'm a 24-year-old male. I definitely consider myself an HSP and feel that these people are more prone to anxiety than non-HSP (although not always). In addition to GAD, I also struggle with Tourette's, OCD/hypochondria, ADD, perfectionism, and depression. Just curious if anyone else identifies themselves that way.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Rec's: 34
  • Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
Re: Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2014, 04:52:58 AM »
I do. I am a 23 year old male. It can be a bummer sometimes as I am seriously open to the pain and suffering of other people/animals, but on the other hand it has enabled me to tap into reserves of understanding and connection with other people that may have otherwise been closed to me. I don't think I would have it any other way.
Bookmark and Share
You can't calm the waves, but you can learn to surf!

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline flyaway

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2014, 04:58:40 AM »
I definitely identify myself as HSP.  I see it as a strength....sometimes.  I think it intensifies both emotional highs and lows.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 05:09:49 AM »
I definitely identify myself as HSP.  I see it as a strength....sometimes.  I think it intensifies both emotional highs and lows.

I agree. It can be so rewarding if managed correctly.
Bookmark and Share

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:42:46 AM »
Yeah, I feel like I don't manage it very well. Any advice on how to do this? I'm a 24 year old male, just for the record.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 12:03:00 AM »
Yeah I think mindfulness is probably key here. Learning to show yourself - your emotions, your memories, your thoughts, your experiences, etc. - and others compassion will be very helpful (part of the mindfulness). Opening up to things and looking at them in a new light and with less struggle tends to make the heightened experiences flow more freely. If you can begin to investigate these things from a more equanimous viewpoint you might find that they have hidden treasures within.
Bookmark and Share

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:43 AM »
Cheesus, thanks for the advice. I feel like I never show any emotion because subconsciously I'm always worried (about stupid things or nothing at all). Just last night, I had to present a bunch of awards to my students (I'm a teacher) and had TERRIBLE anxiety (hot face, tired, twitching muscles, weak legs, sweating, dry mouth, heart racing, dry eyes, no appetite, stomach churning, left hand twitching). I'm worried I looked stupid, said something wrong, or gave out an award to a person who shouldn't have gotten it or something. I just feel like I'm a terrible teacher and person because of all of this (like my students don't like me, I'm not as good as my colleague, etc.). ='(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cheesus

• Ha-Hum
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2014, 02:54:58 AM »
I think learning to become more expressive could be beneficial, but that is perhaps a goal rather than a means. Really here you need to address the anxiety first.

Have a look at this to get some ideas on how that might be done:
http://curetogether.com/anxiety/treatments/

I think you should look to a combination of things including therapy, exercise and diet. I also really like NLP though that list seems to not be such a big fan.
Bookmark and Share

Basis of Recovery
Intrusive Thoughts
A Philosophy of Anxiety

Offline bonitakeats

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 10:48:53 PM »
I think I am a highly sensitive person and the older I get the more sensitive I feel I have become. I think part of it is my anxiety that kicks in and just completly messes me up. I am very sensitive towards the pain in animals, the news etc. I realized it started getting worse in my twenties for me where anything and everything would make me cry and upset.

I have also realized that I just feel deeply for others and view the world differently. Sometimes I wish I was a little bit tougher. The sucky part is my family has always mocked and made fun of my sensitivity. My father in particular has said that my sensitivity and crying in tense situations is a way I manipulate things. These perceptions of my family have caused me to feel ashamed of my sesnitivity. Luckily, my husband who wants to be a psychiatrist (go figure) says it is normal.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: