Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Propranolol and Exercise (And Supplements)  (Read 575 times)

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Propranolol and Exercise (And Supplements)
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03:18 AM »
Thanks insights.

One more question... For now! If you don't mind me picking your brain, of course.

The Propranolol (10mg 3x/day) seems to make me a bit sleepy and dizzy. Sleepy I can understand since, well... You're lowering your heart rate. Will my body get used to this medication overall and these side effects kind of clear up? I drive a lot for my job, so I want to be safe, but I also want to take care of myself by following my Psychiatrist's instructions.

Do people generally stay on Propranolol for long for anxiety, or is it used to transition into the SSRI and then it is weened off or discontinued?

And any other advice since you seem to be completely knowledgeable in this field? Any supplements aside from Fish Oil to take? Any other side effects I should possibly be aware of?

I also have Xanax... I think I mentioned this in an earlier post. 0.25 mg taken as needed. I had to take one yesterday my anxiety got so bad. I fear that taking Xanax and Propranolol will put me in a comatose-like sleep state when I need to be awake.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 09:28:48 AM »
Will my body get used to this medication overall and these side effects kind of clear up?

Maybe. It all depends on your individual biology. It is much less likely to affect your driving than Xanax.

Do people generally stay on Propranolol for long for anxiety, or is it used to transition into the SSRI and then it is weened off or discontinued?

That depends on how effective it and the fluoxetine are. 

Any supplements aside from Fish Oil to take?

Nope. Most of those promoted online are a waste of time, or cause more problems than they solve.

I fear that taking Xanax and Propranolol will put me in a comatose-like sleep state when I need to be awake.

That is unlikely to happen. What was the response when you took the Xanax yesterday?

Ian

Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 09:36:58 AM »
I took the Xanax around 3:15 on my way home from work since my muscles felt so tight and I got that lump in my throat. I felt out of it when I went to the supermarket, but I guess the Xanax didn't take effect yet since that was only 20-30 minutes later.

After I had Physical Therapy, which went fine. I felt alright by then, actually. My chest was a bit sore, but my anxiety had diminished by the most part by then.

The Propranolol makes me much more sleepy than Xanax, but I want to take the Propranolol since that's what my Psychiatrist prescribed. I just am wary when it comes to taking too many medications. It scares me since you hear people dying from pharmaceuticals every day. You hear these astronomical numbers and then when I get these side effects and/or don't feel well, I get worried.  :/

My Psychiatrist said it's ok to drink on the Prozac, generally. He said to not go crazy, but a couple of drinks are tolerable. He said drinking on the Xanax is bad since it truly amplifies the effects of alcohol. I guess it is safe to assume that it's ok to drink with the Propranolol since he prescibred that as well, right? I don't drink often anymore. Not even close. I've had less than 10 drinks this whole year.

We need to set you up a donation PayPal account or something, insights!

Anyway, I am hoping to feel better relatively soon. I want to get back to the Fire Department. I miss it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline insights

• Rec's: 115
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2014, 06:12:09 PM »
He said drinking on the Xanax is bad since it truly amplifies the effects of alcohol. I guess it is safe to assume that it's ok to drink with the Propranolol since he prescibred that as well, right?

Alcohol may increase the BP lowering effects of the propranolol so you would need to be cautious. Do not drive or engage in potentially dangerous activity until you work out how the combination affects you. OTOH, multivitamins may reduce the effectiveness of propranolol.

We need to set you up a donation PayPal account or something, insights!

What and drive me into a higher tax bracket?  :winking0008:  Thanks for the thought, but I don't need the money. Donate to your favourite charity instead if you wish.

Ian
Bookmark and Share
NOTE: I'm not a doctor, and particularly not yours, so there may be factors I'm unaware of. Therefore all advice is of a general nature and you should consult your doctor before following any of it, especially before changing med doses.

anything