Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Wire  Bored?

Author Topic: Good or bad experiences with Cymbalta?  (Read 213 times)

Offline Snoopy10

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Good or bad experiences with Cymbalta?
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:52:49 PM »
I had tried everything.  Zoloft, Lexapro, Buspar, Prozac, Abilify, Wellbutrin and some weird drugs that now I can’t even remember the name of.  Everything had bad side effects or it made me feel worse. 
So I asked my doctor to try Cymbalta.    I took the first pill and immediately began to feel different.  I felt sleepy, calmer and kind of like I didn’t really care as much.   My rumination went away almost immediately.  I started with 20mg (I believe) and after some time I went up to 30mg. 
Unfortunately, Cymbalta had some significant side effects for me.   The typical ones were night sweats, somnolence (sleepiness) all the time (although I didn’t care that much in the beginning because I would rather be sleepy than anxious), waking up in the middle of the night and dry mouth. The “weird” side effects were weight gain (food tasted SO good and I didn’t care how much I ate!), increased alcohol cravings (I was gulping down wine by the glassful every night and also didn’t care how much I drank!), strange effects with alcohol (I wouldn’t feel drunk mentally but motor skill impairment started almost right away).  I was on it for at least 6 months, blissfully eating and drinking and sleeping and not really caring much about anything until I tried to join the real world and realized I couldn’t really function.  I was just too sleepy and chilled out.
I realized Cymbalta wasn’t a long term solution for me, but I am so glad I took it. It gave me the motivation to transition back to Lexapro.  This time I stuck with it and after several months, I started to feel better again.  Switching over wasn’t that bad.  Yes, I had the “brain zaps” and I went through a period of intense anxiety (so I took more klonopin) but once I started to normalize, I was in pretty good shape. 
For me, Cymbalta started me on the path to better symptom control.   

What was your experience? 

Bookmark and Share

Offline poppadr3w

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Good or bad experiences with Cymbalta?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 10:37:29 PM »
I was on 30mg for a couple of months. The first couple of weeks I felt sick every morning, but with a small dose of Xanax it would be manageable.

The Cymbalta itself seemed to even my anxiety out. But I still felt "out of it" a bit. I was happy that the physical manifestations of anxiety weren't present, or not nearly as much. But then I tried the holistic route since I was going to a wellness center and they wanted me off of the Cymbalta. I even tried upping the dosage of Cymbalta from 30mg to 60mg, and it gave me anxiety attacks for three nights in a row about 30 minutes after taking it. That's when I tried the holistic route... Which wasn't powerful enough.

Coming off of the Cymbalta was horrible, though. My OLD psychiatrist told me to merely stop, not taper off. I tried that at first and I felt like my eyeballs were going to roll out of my eye sockets. My head tingled and hurt and I was dizzy. I called a pharmacist and they recommended taking it every other day, then skip 2 days and take it one day, and so on. That helped a bit. I also heard Fish Oil helps come off of such meds.

Now I am on Fluoxetine and it seems alright. Best of luck in your journey!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: Cymbalta