Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Magnesium questions  (Read 292 times)

Offline Worrier1978

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Magnesium questions
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:48:12 PM »
I started taking a Magnesium Glycinate supplement a few days ago to see if it would help with my anxiety issues & I had a few questions. First of all, has anyone ever had any side effects from taking it (other than diarrhea)? Do you take it with any other supplements? How much are you taking & did you talk to a doctor before doing so? How do you space the dosages so it doesn't wear off? How long does it usually last for you?

I take a multivitamin with a small amount of Magnesium Oxide in it (40 mg) & also additional Vitamin D at the recommendation of my OBGYN. Here's my experience with Magnesium so far:

Thurs - late morning took 200 mg, didn't feel as anxious as I'd been feeling, felt very relaxed that evening (better than I'd felt in a long time!) until I had a big muscle spasm in my chest, which completely freaked me out (but because I felt so relaxed, I was able to deal with it better & not spiral into worry). I figured the spasm was probably muscles loosening up (my chest muscles had been very tight all week).

Fri - took 100 mg in the AM & 100 mg in the late afternoon*, no anxiety issues, but my back was bothering me a lot so I didn't feel the greatest (I have muscle issues & a pinched nerve in my back from an injury), felt very relaxed in the evening again, had small muscle spasms/twitches all over my body, but figured (again) that it was just tight muscles loosening up. Slept really well! *Note: I decided to break up the dosage because I was unsure of how much to take & worried 200 mg all at once could be too much.

Sat - took 200 mg as soon as I woke up*, several hours later noticed my upper lip felt weird (swollen/tingly) & soon my lower lip & tongue felt weird, too. I spoke with a nurse who said I should take Benadryl in case I was having an allergic reaction. Hours later, it was a little better, but I was worried so I spoke with a doctor who said she had heard of this happening when taking Magnesium. She advised I stop taking it, try to relax & maybe schedule an appointment with my doctor to discuss anxiety & medications. My anxiety was back to normal by the evening.   :sick0002: *Note: I decided to take more at once to see if it would kick in sooner/last longer.

Sun - Anxiety was pretty awful, especially after feeling more relaxed for a few days. I called a Pharmacist to get info on Magnesium to make sure I didn't take too much & then decided to try it again, but in the lower dose, to see if I had another reaction. I took 100 mg in the late morning & within a few hours felt more relaxed. No lip/mouth reaction. It wore off by evening & I felt really anxious, but decided to not take a second dose just in case.

Mon (Today) - Took 100 mg as soon as I woke up & felt relaxed after a few hours. No lip/mouth reaction. I started feeling really anxious a little while ago, so I took another 100 mg. As long as there's no reaction, I plan on taking another 100 mg this evening. I would like to get a good spacing down between doses so that it doesn't wear off if that's even possible. I also want to make sure I don't take too much. I'd love input from anyone that takes Magnesium for anxiety. Tell me your routine with it, side effects, suggestions, etc. I'd love to be able to get through my anxiety on my own, but if a supplement could help me without harming me, I'm all for it. I'd really rather not take anxiety meds if I can avoid it. I know they do help some people, but I've never had good reactions to prescription medications. I see that as a last resort.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Magnesium questions
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 02:39:53 PM »
I take the Albion Chelated Magnesium Glycinate supplement.  It seems to help me with calming benign fasicluations.  Otherwise, I notice no difference.  I've also read that if you're taking too much magnesium, the side-effect is diarrhea only because your body simply has enough.  It's off-loading it.

Furthermore, I'm very intolerant of prescription meds, and I tolerate this supplement very, very well.  I usually take 2-133mg capsules in the morning and forget it.  I did talk to a doctor before I started this (in fact, he suggested it).
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 02:45:03 PM »
Where are your twitches located? ^
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:53 PM »
Where are your twitches located? ^

Calf muscles.  They just ripple.  In fact, they're doing it right now.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety happens at the subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state.  - AnxietyZone member Sixpack

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 03:12:12 PM »
My Calfs have been twitching for almost four months. I occasionally get them in my knee, back and other areas. Suggests I get looked at? Or anexity?
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
My Calfs have been twitching for almost four months. I occasionally get them in my knee, back and other areas. Suggests I get looked at? Or anexity?

This is where medical testing and HA intersect.  Of course nobody here can tell you you're fine, especially without a medical professional examining you.  If a person has been checked out, but still obsesses over further testing, then that's where the HA beast starts to come into play.  Know what I mean?  If you're really concerned, put a call in to your doctor, but if you're like me, it's anxiety related.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nk904

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:58:58 PM »
Had a neuro look me over and my gp. Normal neuro exam (reflexes, strength) and they told me it was bfs. Without any additional testing. Sent me on my way. Wonder if this magnesium would help...
Bookmark and Share

Offline wegngis

Exhausted
  • Personal Text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2014, 04:08:52 PM »
Well then, you've been looked over, so all is probably fine.  We sound similar.  I'll PM you what I buy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline msgb98

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 08:33:30 PM »
I take 200 Mag Oxide in the AM with vitamins and then 400 Mag glycinate in PM.
It is supposed to help with sleep.
I take to prevent kidney stones. I take to help with the fibromyalgia I do have and the DVT I have.
I have been doing this with my DR knowledge for about 1 1/2-2 yrs.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 09:24:47 AM »
Thanks for the info! :)

I never took a 3rd dose Monday PM because I started to worry it was bothering my stomach (I don't think it was -- I think it was all in my head. Go figure, right?!  :spineyes: ) I didn't take any on Tuesday at all & had a fairly good almost anxiety-free day. I had one episode that literally came out of nowhere. It felt like I had tons of energy pent up all of a sudden (this has happened before). I was at my parents' house & they have an elliptical, so I got on that for a few minutes. I felt better after that. My mom wants us to take the elliptical home with us for a while since they haven't been using it, so hopefully we can get that over here soon. Maybe it can be my outlet.

Yesterday was a rough day because my back was really acting up. I did my stretches, used the tennis ball on it, put heat on it, took Ibuprofen, etc. I would do a little work around the house, then rest, trying to not overdo it. I have no idea why it will suddenly act up like that. I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing or if there's any connection of any kind because it drives me crazy. The doctors I've seen say I have a pinched sciatic nerve, so that causes my lower back pain (which I actually don't feel often at all) & causes my right foot to sometimes fall asleep (which has been acting up yesterday & this morning). The back pain that bothers me most is more in the middle of my back -- it's more of a stiffness than a pain straight across my back. On the bad days, it bothers me when I try to stand up really straight. This has been on-going (on & off) for several months now & I'm pretty sure it's from straining my back carrying around my then 1 1/2 year old when she was really sick a few months ago. (I hadn't had this problem before that) I've had back x-rays done & they came back normal, so doctors keep telling me it's probably muscle-related from that strain (possibly aggravated by stress/anxiety). I know this kind of injury can take time to heal, so I'm trying to be patient. It's just so hard because I'm not used to being limited like this. And when it's at its worst, I worry that something else could be wrong with me. I know this is just my anxiety talking, so I try to keep my mind from going crazy about it. I am also trying to set up a massage ASAP to see if that helps at all.

Anyway, back to the Magnesium part of this story....yesterday, in addition to my back issues, my stomach was bothering me & I know Magnesium can help get bowels moving, so before bed I took a dose (100 mg). This morning -- I'll spare you the details -- let's just say the Magnesium worked its magic! So that was good. My middle back is still bothering me this morning, but not nearly as bad as yesterday. I've done my stretches & have heat on it now, so I'll work on it a little more & I think it might be ok today. (Fingers crossed) I took 100 mg of Magnesium this morning & I'm going to attempt to start taking it again to see if it helps at all. I am going to try taking 100 mg 3 times a day, since my body can't seem to tolerate much more than that at once. We'll see.

Oh, and I know that Magnesium is used for numerous reasons, but my main reason for wanting to try it is to help me relax/calm my nerves, which hopefully will help my anxiety & maybe loosen up my tight muscles, which might help with my back & my tension headaches.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 01:03:48 PM »
I take regular magnesium and it does NOTHING for me.  I have had constipation issues for years and years and years - I kept hearing magnesium helps that - did NOTHING.  (I take 500mg every other day because I don't want to cut the tabs in half) - I also heard it's supposed to help with anxiety.  It does NOTHING.  Does it have to be with Glycinate?  Mine isn't.  (I've been using magnesium since November)
Bookmark and Share

Offline forever young

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2014, 01:44:01 PM »
I was wondering if it would help with sleep. I am having trouble going to sleep. I wonder which kind to take some of it you don't absorb it. I guess that is why it wouldn't help maybe
Bookmark and Share

Offline Worrier1978

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
I guess Magnesium is not going to work for me. Lips & tongue started tingling/feel like they were burning a few hours ago. It's not that bad, but I'm scared of my throat closing up or something. Took Benadryl just in case it gets worse. Ugh. I was having a good day, too.  :angry:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: